This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0821 / 54°4'55"N
Longitude: -1.5577 / 1°33'27"W
OS Eastings: 429033
OS Northings: 465216
OS Grid: SE290652
Mapcode National: GBR KPK7.KG
Mapcode Global: WHC81.1NJH
Entry Name: Markington Hall
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Last Amended: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190266
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330983
Location: Markington with Wallerthwaite, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH HIGH STREET
WALLERTHWAITE (north side, off)
5/62 Markington Hall
(formerly listed as The Old
Large house. C17 with C18 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared gritstone
and limestone, stone slate roof. 2-storey, 3-bay block with 3-storey cross
wings. Central 8-panel door in moulded architrave flanked by 4-light
recessed mullioned windows. Three 16-pane sashes in flush wood architraves
to first floor. Left wing: a 4-light window with C20 stone mullions to each
floor. Right-wing, ground and first floors: 4-light recessed-mullion
windows; second floor: 3-light recessed mullion window with moulded label
and dropped diamond-shaped stops. Moulded string course at first- and
second-floor eaves levels. Shaped kneelers and gable copings to wings.
Rear: C20 extensions and openings; C17 ground-floor entrance and mullioned
window to right. Left and right returns: large external chimney stack.
Interior: front room, right: large fireplace with segmental stone arch and 2
ovens against rear wall. Right (east) wing: former chapel contains moulded
pointed-arched fireplace and large cross beams, one with pyramidal stops.
Most remaining interior features are restorations and alterations of 1920's
and 30's. The house was occupied by the statesman William Wilberforce
(1759-1833) who married the daughter of the owner of Markington Hall. North
Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group, Report Number 377,
Listing NGR: SE2903365216
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings