History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cold Higham, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1759 / 52°10'33"N

Longitude: -1.0323 / 1°1'56"W

OS Eastings: 466270

OS Northings: 253513

OS Grid: SP662535

Mapcode National: GBR 9VJ.HV5

Mapcode Global: VHDS9.2K3T

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190319

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234664

Location: Cold Higham, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Cold Higham

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cold Higham St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Pattishall

Listing Text

COLD HIGHAM BANBURY LANE
SP65SE (North side)
7/34 Church of St. Luke
17/05/60

GV II*


Church. C13, C14. Restored, chancel rebuilt, north aisle and organ chamber added
1879 by E.F. Law. Coursed squared ironstone, slate roof with tiled ridges to
chancel, copper roofs to body of church and stone slate roof to tower. Chancel,
organ chamber, nave, north aisle, south chapel and west tower. 2-bay chancel has
3-light geometrical east window, 1-light window to south-east with cusped heads,
2-light Decorated window to south-west. Tomb recess to south with colonnettes;
moulded capitals, hollow-chamfered segmental arch and hood mould framing chest
tomb supporting gravestone with foliated cross. Organ chamber to north has
hollow-chamfered east door, 2-light window to north with plate tracery and
transom and gable above. North aisle has north door with sunk quadrant moulding
and 2-light Decorated windows. Nave has south door with sunk quadrant moulding
and 2-light Decorated window to south-west. South chapel has 2-light Decorated
east window with cusped heads to lights and quatrefoil to head, similar window
to south and small low-side 1-light blocked window to south, possibly Saxon,
with splayed jambs and pointed head carved of one stone. 3-stage west tower has
lancet window to west, blocked 1-light window or niche to middle stage west and
small 1-light window to middle stage south with chamfered stone surround and
straight head. 2-light bell-chamber openings, that to south, with cusped heads
to lights and quatrefoil to head. Plain stone-coped parapet to north and south
and saddleback roof with 1-light windows to stone-coped east and west gables.
Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church, corbelled stone eaves to chancel.
Most windows and all doors have hood moulds. Interior: chancel arch has plain
piers, imposts and double-chamfered arch dying into wall. Nave has C19 4-bay
north arcade with circular piers and double-chamfered arches. Chamfered arch to
south chapel dying into piers with sunk-quadrant mouldings and hood mould,
Chapel has piscina with chamfered arch and fine tomb recess to south with triple
sunk-quadrant moulded ogee arch with ball-flower ornament flanked by crocketed
pinnacles. C19 stained glass windows to chapel. Monuments: fine oaken effigy of
cross-legged knight in chapel tomb recess on tomb chest with ogee-headed panels
containing shields. Believed to commemorate Sir John de Patteshall 1292-1349.
Small brass wall monument with moulded stone surround to Edward Norris, d.l695.
Grey veined marble wall monument to John Aylworth, d.1729, with open pediment,
painted crest and cartouche of arms to apron. Vertical oval limestone wall
monument to Rev. John Nixon, d.1777, with small cartouche of arms above:
supporting bracket signed Wm. Cox/Daventry. White marble wall monument, topped
by urn, to Rev. John Bishop, d.1817.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p,15S; Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire, 1928).


Listing NGR: SP6627053513

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.