History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Museum Block at Charterhouse School

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1974 / 51°11'50"N

Longitude: -0.6213 / 0°37'16"W

OS Eastings: 496429

OS Northings: 145149

OS Grid: SU964451

Mapcode National: GBR FCV.ZP4

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.55XC

Entry Name: Old Museum Block at Charterhouse School

Listing Date: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291427

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING HURTMORE ROAD
SU 9645 SW
(south side, off)
5/151 Old Museum Block at
Charterhouse School
GV II
Former museum, carpentry workshop, lecture theatre and classrooms; now classrooms
and lecture theatre. Dated 1890 altered. Bargate rubblestone with ashlar
dressings. Welsh slate roof. 1 and 2 storeys. At west end, 2 parallel ranges,
gable-end on (former museum), fronted by single-storey 8-bay arcade with a 1-
storey, 2-bay block at either end; to rear (east) of this is slightly taller
theatre. In modified Gothic style having plinths; quoins; offset buttresses; 2-
centred-arched, quoined openings; roll-mounted strings; raised verges with coping
and multifaced finials. West front: arcade has gabled buttresses and parapet
broken by 2 recessed panels with mottoes and gableted, roll-moulded coping; inside
arcade a board door or small-paned window to each bay. Rising above arcade the
paired gables of the parallel ranges each have a large, transomed, 4-light window
with triangular-headed lights and leaded glazing; between gables is gableted
plaque with coat of arms and date. The single-storey blocks at each end of arcade
have square-headed, 3-light windows. Rear: lecture theatre has one gable with
polygonal corner stair towers with board doors; ground floor masked by pent-roofed
infill addition; on 1st floor, windows of 3 lights flanked by 2 lights. Returns:
former museum has full-length dormer windows with continuous small-paned glazing
lights with round-arched tops. Lecture theatre on north side has three 3-light
windows to 1st floor. Attached buildings to south not of special interest.
M Seaborne, and R Lowe, The English School, Its Architecture and Organisation,
Vol II, 1870-1970 (1977).


Listing NGR: SU9642945149

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.