History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Silverstone, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.092 / 52°5'31"N

Longitude: -1.0264 / 1°1'34"W

OS Eastings: 466801

OS Northings: 244190

OS Grid: SP668441

Mapcode National: GBR 9WH.Z6M

Mapcode Global: VHDSP.5P83

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 22 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234581

Location: Silverstone, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Silverstone

Built-Up Area: Silverstone

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Silverstone St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Silverstone

Listing Text

SILVERSTONE STOCK'S HILL
SP6644 (North side)
13/71 Church of St. Michael

GV II

Church. Built 1884 by J.P. St. Aubyn at expense of Sir Reginald Loder of
Whittlebury Lodge. Coursed squared limestone with ironstone dressings, plain
tile roofs. Chancel, organ chamber and vestry, nave, north and south aisles,
south porch. Built in the Decorated style. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window
with geometrical tracery, 2-light windows to south and north-east with
quatrefoil tracery in heads, plinth, stone eaves and stone-coped east gable.
Vestry and organ chamber has boiler house basement with chamfered doorway to
east with segmental hood, and small chamfered rectangular window to north,
vestry door with chamfered stone surround and hood mould, 2-light window to
south with quatrefoil tracery to head, and one-light window to west with pointed
trefoil head. Chamfered plinth, stone ends, stone-coped north gable and brick
end stack on stone base. North aisle has one-light east window with pointed
trefoil head, a 2-light west window with reticulated tracery and 3-light windows
to south with straight heads and ogee tracery. North aisle has similar windows
to north and similar west window to that of south aisle. South porch has double
hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould, chamfered south door within chamfered
plinth and stone-coped gable. Nave has 4-light west window with geometrical
tracery and timber-framed bell turret at west end with ribbed lead-covered base
with clock face to south, 2-light bell-openings and shingled spire. Nave and
aisles are under same roof and have plinth and stone-coped gables. Pointed
windows all have hood moulds. Interior: chancel has stone reredos with mosaic of
Crucifixion above altar, and arch-braced collar-truss roof. Similar roof to nave
and 4-bay arcades with circular columns, moulded ironstone capitals and
double-chamfered arches.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.404; Kelly's, Northamptonshire,
1928).


Listing NGR: SP6680144190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.