This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1531 / 51°9'11"N
Longitude: -0.4409 / 0°26'27"W
OS Eastings: 509136
OS Northings: 140472
OS Grid: TQ091404
Mapcode National: GBR GG0.PB5
Mapcode Global: VHFW3.98RW
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291857
Location: Ewhurst, Waverley, Surrey, GU6
Civil Parish: Ewhurst
Built-Up Area: Ewhurst
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ewhurst
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04SE EWHURST C.P. THE STREET
2/215 Church of
9/3/60 St. Peter and
Church. C12 nave with C13 transepts and C15 porch. Chancel largely rebuilt in
1838 when central tower was reconstructed after a collapse by Robert Ebbels.
Weald sandstone rubble with some tile pieces, dressed sandstone blocks on
buttresses and rough dressed, galleted blocks on transepts and chancel. Horsham
slab roofs with short, wood-shingled broach spire to tower. Cruciform plan about
a-central tower. Corbel table to tower eaves over arcading with multiple,
clasping, offset buttresses to angles over diagonal buttresses on the lower stage
in the re-entrant angle between nave and transepts. Simple two-light, round-
headed openings in upper stage to each face under single round-headed relieving
arches and with central columned, cushion-capital mullions. Trefoil windows over
three widely spaced lancets in transept ends with deep reveals and offset butt-
resses to angles. Lancet windows in east and west sides of north transepts. C15
Perpendicular style window to east side of south transept. Crucifix on gable end
of chancel, re-cut C19 Perpendicular style window below on east end, offset
buttresses to angles. One arched window in deep reveal to north side of chancel
with hexagonal glazing tracery. Similar window but with diamond-pane glazing on
south side of chancel. Large Perpendicular style window on south side of nave,
Perpendicular style window to west end over porch. Three paired, round-arched
windows at different levels on north side, the ones to centre in square surround.
Vestry addition to west with C19 bargeboards. Gabled porch to west with ogee and
scalloped bargeboards. South door, early C12 with large jamb shafts, big
scalloped capitals and thick order to arch with double roll moulding under the
hood running into the imposts. Considered by Pevsner/Nairn to be the best piece
of Norman decoration in Surrey, although possibly altered in the C19 restoration.
Further doors to west sides of transepts.
Interior:- Simple. Tiled floor. Three bay crown post roof to nave. Three bay
chancel roof with moulded wall plate. Hexagonal tiles to chancel floor. Rubble-
stone crossing arches with continuous double chamfers. Fittings:- Handsome late
C17 altar rails, three-sided with recessed curved corners and twisted balusters,
originally at Baynards Park. Jacobean pulpit: arcaded oak sides with carved
borders on centre stem. Font - tapering bowl of square section with renewed stem
and plinth, St. Andrews Crosses and chevrons on sides.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.226.
V. C. H. VOL III (1967 EDN) pp.lOO-1.
Listing NGR: TQ0913540470
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings