History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Houghton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2273 / 52°13'38"N

Longitude: -0.8239 / 0°49'26"W

OS Eastings: 480425

OS Northings: 259434

OS Grid: SP804594

Mapcode National: GBR CXW.8J5

Mapcode Global: VHDS6.N8SY

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235550

Location: Little Houghton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Little Houghton

Built-Up Area: Little Houghton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Little Houghton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Ecton

Listing Text

LITTLE HOUGHTON LODGE ROAD
SP8059 (West side)
11/150 No.30 (The Old School House)
03/05/68

- II

House, formerly school and school house. Dated 1762, altered C20. Coursed
ironstone rubble, asbestos tile roof, brick end and ridge stacks. 2-unit plan. 2
storeys and attic; 4-window range. Main front faces garden, formerly school
yard, to south and has 2-light C20 windows to ground floor. Ground floor windows
were formerly at higher level; their wood lintels survive two courses above
present windows. 2-light leaded casement windows to 1st floor with wood lintels,
all leaded except for that to far left. Stone-coped gables with kneelers.
Entrance to rear. Datestone to right gable facing street inscribed TW/1762.
Interior not inspected. Provision was made to build a school house in the will
of William Ward dated 5th March 1673. The initials on the building are those of
Thomas Ward 1706-1772. It remained a school until 1891.
(Little Houghton Coronation Scrapbook, 1953)


Listing NGR: SP8042559434

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.