This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.106 / 52°6'21"N
Longitude: -1.0894 / 1°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 462466
OS Northings: 245682
OS Grid: SP624456
Mapcode National: GBR 9W7.TN8
Mapcode Global: VHCW6.2BGF
Entry Name: The Manor
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190469
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234599
Location: Wappenham, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Wappenham
Built-Up Area: Wappenham
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wappenham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP6245 (South side)
11/89 The Manor
Manor house. Dated 1702 and 1704. Fine coursed squared limestone, plain tile
roof, stone end and ridge stack with square paired chimneys. T-plan. 2 storeys
and attic; 6-window range. Glazed door with overlight just right of centre in
moulded stone surround with keyblock inscribed '17C02/RA/1704' and broken
segmental pediment. 2-light flat-faced stone mullion windows to ground and first
floors with moulded sills and surrounds, except for 2 windows to ground floor
left which have moulded stone sills and surrounds with keyblocks and 12-pane
sashes. 3 two-light cellar windows to left of door with plain flat-faced stone
mullions, 6 steps leading up to door, chamfered plinth and quoins, moulded
storey band and stone eaves, stone-coped gables with kneelers and two roof
dormers. 3-light flat-faced stone mullion windows to rear and to projecting wing
to rear which has back door on right side, next to main range with moulded stone
surround and old plank door with leaded overlight, approached by 6 steps. The
wing is continued by a late C19 2-storey extension. Interior has stop-chamfered
spine beams, some boxed; hall with fielded panelling and bolection moulded stone
chimneypiece; parlour with fielded panelling, chimneypiece with fluted keyblock,
fitted corner cupboard with shaped shelves, round-arched head, semi-domed
inside, flanked by pilasters, and late C18 statutary marble chimneypiece from
Melchbourne Park, Bedfordshire, dog-leg staircase with turned balusters, and
collar truss roof.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.442).
Listing NGR: SP6246645682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings