History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7813 / 52°46'52"N

Longitude: -1.9309 / 1°55'51"W

OS Eastings: 404756

OS Northings: 320412

OS Grid: SK047204

Mapcode National: GBR 3B0.QLW

Mapcode Global: WHBF3.9CR4

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 February 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190499

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272867

Location: Colton, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Colton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Colton St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Rugeley

Listing Text

COLTON C.P. BELLAMOUR WAY (south side)
SK 02 SW
1/21 Church of St. Mary
27.2.64

- II*

Parish church. Early C13 west tower and late C13 south chapel are
incorporated in a church of 1850-2 by G.E. street. Sandstone ashlar;
plain tile roofs with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave with side
aisles, 3-bay chancel and south chapel. West tower. Early C13.
2 stages with diagonal buttresses dying into a second stage off-set,
and a C19 crenellated parapet with eight crocketed pinnacles. The
first stage has a single lancet to each outer face; the belfry has
paired lancets. South aisle. 1850-2 except for the late C13 west
wall with lancet window. Buttresses at the bay divisions. The south
windows are pointed and of 2 trefoil headed lights with Decorated tracery;
scroll moulded sill string. Gabled south porch with gabled corner
buttresses. Pointed outer arch of 2 wave-moulded orders and hood
mould terminating in heads. Inside, a pointed doorway with roll and
fillet and wave-moulded surround. South chapel. Late C13. Attached
to east end of south aisle. Bay divisions marked by buttresses.
The central and eastern bays are lit by single lancets; the western
bay by paired lancets, and a C17 rectangular window with chamfered
surround. Central pointed south door of 2 chamfered orders. East
window of 3 grouped lancets with roll-moulded surrounds. North aisle.
1850-2. 2 and 3 light pointed windows with Decorated tracery.
Chancel. 1850-2. 2 and 3-light north windows and 5-light east window,
pointed with Decorated tracery. In the centre of the north side is
a monument to the Rev. Abdeli Seaton and his wife, died 1857. Segmental,
pointed recess with bail flower surround and scroll-moulded hood.
Interior. 5-bay nave arcades of 1850-2 quatrefoil piers with thin
shafts in the diagonals, and moulded bases and capitals supporting
pointed arches. The nave arcades are in imitation of the 4-bay south
chancel arcade the arches of which have 2 wave-moulded orders. The
nave roof has arch-braced scissor trusses and the aisle roofs cusped
arch-braced collars with tracery above the collars, the braces spring
from stone corbels. Arch-braced collar roof over the chancel incorpor-
ating a collar purlin. In the south chapel is a C13 piscina with
pointed trefoil head and sunken spandrels, and sedilia with pointed
arches and segment moulded surrounds. Corona to the south chancel
aisle of 1850-2 by Street, and to the nave of 1892 by Hardman, Powell
& co. Fittings. Font by Street with a cluster of squat fillet moulded
cylindrical columns carrying an octagonal basin with panelled sides
and ball flower ornament around the base, conical wooden font cover.
Semi-octagonal stone pulpit by Street with open traceried sides and
ball flower. Full set of benches and stalls by Street. 3 misericords,
one with a Janus head and the others wyverns. Stained glass. The
east windows of the chancel and north aisle and one of the northern
chancel windows are of 1858 by William Wailes. B.o.E. pp. 106-7.


Listing NGR: SK0475620412

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.