History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wappenham, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1058 / 52°6'20"N

Longitude: -1.0889 / 1°5'19"W

OS Eastings: 462500

OS Northings: 245666

OS Grid: SP625456

Mapcode National: GBR 9W7.TTG

Mapcode Global: VHCW6.2BQJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190507

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234614

Location: Wappenham, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Wappenham

Built-Up Area: Wappenham

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Wappenham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Wappenham

Listing Text

WAPPENHAM RECTORY WAY
SP6245 (South side)
11/104 Church of St. Mary
17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C13, C14 and C15, chancel partly rebuilt 1833, general later C19
restoration. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone with ironstone dressings,
chancel partly rendered, copper, lead and slate roofs. Chancel, vestry, nave,
north and south aisles and porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light
Perpendicular east window with hood mould, 2-light windows north and south with
Y-tracery to continuous hood moulds, vestry to north-east with one-light window
to north with hood mould, priest's door to north with many moulded arch on
shafts with moulded capitals and datestone above inscribed 'REBUILT 1833';
chamfered plinth, diagonal offset buttresses, offset buttresses flanking
priest's door and one to south, string course and plain ironstone parapet with
stone coping. Nave has low stone-coped east gable. North aisle has 3-light
Perpendicular east window, 4-centred head and hood mould, similar windows to
north and 2-light west window with Y-tracery and hood mould, double
hollow-chamfered north door with hood mould and label stops. North porch has
moulded doorway with round-arched head, small rectangular blocked windows east
and west, tile roof and stone-coped gable with kneelers. South aisle has 3-light
Perpendicular windows to east and south with depressed arch heads and hood
moulds, and double hollow-chamfered south door in gabled south porch. Porch has
doorway with moulded wood surround and timber lintel, small rectangular windows
east and west and sundial in gable. 3-stage west tower has many moulded west
door and 3-light Perpendicular window above, both with hood moulds, octagonal
timber clock face to middle stage north with timber hood mould, 2-light
bell-openings with quatrefoiled heads and hood moulds, and tall battlemented
parapet with angle pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses to tower and north aisle.
Interior: chancel has 3 arches behind altar with ogee heads, pierced cusps and
traces of original colour, renewed piscina and stone brackets either side of
east window. Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and
shafts to west side with moulded capital to north, stiff-leaf capital to south
and pinnacled niche set diagonally in angle between arch and south arcade. 3-bay
nave has double-chamfered arches, round-arched to north on circular piers with
moulded capitals, pointed to south on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and
polygonal responds to south and east end of north aisle. South aisle has piscina
and blocked squint with cusped head. Octagonal font with bowl decorated with
leaf patterns, probably C17. Another font with eared projections possibly a
re-used medieval mortar. Original mid C18 timber reredos now at east end of
south aisle with painted commandments framed by pilasters with fruit and flower
drops. Good late C19 stained glass east and west windows, a C16 or early C17
painted glass shield in head of south aisle window, old crown glass in chancel
windows, some quarries scratched with names and dates, earliest, Thomas Parbery
1790, Plumber, another Thomas Coles Wm Sharp Brackley May 9 1807. Brasses to
Thomas Lovett of Astwell Castle d.1492 and wife; Constance Butler d.1499; Thomas
Lovett d.1542 and wife, all in south aisle; a knight of c.1460, Sir Thomas
Filling, Chief Justice, d.1481 and wife, both in nave and from Bittlesdon Abbey,
Buckinghamshire.
(Buildings of England: Northanptonshire, p.441-2; Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire, 1928).


Listing NGR: SP6250045666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.