This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1422 / 51°8'32"N
Longitude: -2.8341 / 2°50'2"W
OS Eastings: 341744
OS Northings: 138439
OS Grid: ST417384
Mapcode National: GBR MD.89ST
Mapcode Global: VH7DL.TKL6
Entry Name: Shapwick Manor
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Last Amended: 6 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269255
Location: Shapwick, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA7
Civil Parish: Shapwick
Built-Up Area: Shapwick
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Polden Wheel
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST43NW SHAPWICK CP STATION ROAD (West sidei
2/27 Shapwick Manor
(formerly listed as Down House)
Manor house, now school. Medieval, for Almoner of Glastonbury Abbey; rebuilt early C17 for Bull family, the residence
in mid C17 of Henry Bull, Barrister of the Middle Temple and M.P. for Somerset; restored and extended mid C19, probably
for Strangways family. Colourwashed coursed and squared rubble some render to left return, slate roofs, coped verges
with bases for finials, coursed and squared rubble stacks, some with moulded caps. Elizabethan asymmetrical frontage.
Two storeys, 3:1:2 bays, windows to first floor under front facing gables; left 3 bays with 4-light reserved chamfer
stone- mullioned windows; C19 casement to each light with horizontal glazing bars, stopped labels; right 2 bays with 2,
3 and 4-light stone mullioned windows, stopped labels, that to left of first floor with a low pedimented gable.
Projecting 2-storeyed gabled porch to centre; 2-light reserved chamfer stone-mullioned window to first floor;
hollow-moulded segmental headed outer door opening in a dressed stone surround. Three 2-stage buttresses between left 3
bays. Left return of 2:3:1 bays, some ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows, stopped labels; C19 5-light canted bay.
Glazed verandah on slender iron supports. Interior much remodelled mid C19 in a Jacobean style, of particular note 2
fireplaces in carved wooden mantelpieces with busts; C18 panelled room to left of ground floor; C18 staircase; C18
strongroom with cast-iron door.
Listing NGR: ST4174438439
Other nearby listed buildings