History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hood Grange Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Hood Grange, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.234 / 54°14'2"N

Longitude: -1.2276 / 1°13'39"W

OS Eastings: 450444

OS Northings: 482306

OS Grid: SE504823

Mapcode National: GBR MMWH.00

Mapcode Global: WHD8K.3VP1

Entry Name: Hood Grange Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 June 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332861

Location: Hood Grange, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Hood Grange

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Sutton

Listing Text

HOOD GRANGE A170
SE 58 SW
(south side, off)
2/3 Hood Grange Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Hood
20.6.66 Grange and outbuildings)
GV II
Farmhouse. C17 with probably earlier wing and C19 alterations. Coursed squared
stone and coursed rubble; pantile roof. 2 storeys and attic, 2 bays with gabled
cross-wing projecting on right. Quoins. The 2 left bays have recessed chamfered
mullion windows of 2 lights on each floor to left and 3 lights on right, the latter
deepended c19. On far right at junction with wing is C20 4-panel door with over-
light under angled canopy and quoins on right. Wing: C19 chamfered mullion windows
of 3 lights to ground floor, 2 lights to first floor and 1 light to gable; ends
of timber purlins visible in gable. Small roof skylight. Brick ridge stack over
left bay; stone stack to right side of wing. Rear: main range has: rubble plinth;
door on left in former window opening; a 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window
to right on each floor; to far right a double-chamfered cross-window and above it
an oculus with sunken upper spandrels and hoodmould; 2 brick courses at eaves.
Wing has: a blocked window and a 3-light side-sliding sash under wood lintel to
ground floor; ends of 4 iron tie-rods; on first floor a blocked doorway; the gable
rebuilt with a 2-light side-sliding sash. Right return (wing): on right, first-
floor window is flanked by drops of a hoodmould. Interior: Main range has stair
with C17 moulded splat balusters having heart-shaped cut-outs, and roof trusses
with curved struts to purlins; wing, of 3 bays, has 3 large scantling cross-beams
and 4 collared principal rafter roof trusses set close together. The farmhouse
is on the site of a Cistercian house founded in 1138 and taken over by the black
canons of Newburgh Priory when the Cistercians moved to Old Byland in 1143 (Grainge,
pp 202-3). W Grainge, The Vale of Mowbray: A Historical and Topographical Account
of Thirsk and its Neighbourhood (1859).


Listing NGR: SE5042482304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.