History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

208, 209, 210, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Northallerton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3403 / 54°20'25"N

Longitude: -1.4349 / 1°26'5"W

OS Eastings: 436839

OS Northings: 494006

OS Grid: SE368940

Mapcode National: GBR LLF7.4W

Mapcode Global: WHD81.X5WH

Entry Name: 208, 209, 210, High Street

Listing Date: 9 December 1969

Last Amended: 15 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190570

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332846

Location: Northallerton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Northallerton

Built-Up Area: Northallerton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Northallerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Northallerton

Listing Text

NORTHALLERTON HIGH STREET
SE 3694-3794 and
SE 3693-3793 (west side)
6/52 and 7/52 Nos 208, 209, 210
(formerly listed as No 208
(premises occupied by
9.12.69 Maynard's); No 209 (premises
occupied by Goldfinch Wines);
No 210 (Ye Old Golden Lion))
GV II
Coaching inn, later partly shops, now supermarket with offices above. Late C17,
refronted in mid C18 with mid C19 and C20 alterations, all except front wall demol-
ished 1979. Rendered, Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 first-floor windows. Ground
floor, from left: C20 doorway to offices on upper floors; C20 shop front occupying
most of 3 bays; between 4th and 5th bays, former mid C19 doorway flanked by C19
canted bay windows. First and second floors: central bay narrow and projecting
slightly; end bays slightly recessed; C19 canted bay windows on first floor except
for sash window with glazing bars in central bay, and between 4th and 5th bays,
over former inn doorway, frame for inn sign on consoles, and with wrought-iron frame
for hanging sign; second-floor windows of 9 panes unequally hung, except for 4-pane
sash in 1st bay. Under the render there would appear to have been a cornice.
Ashlar coping to right. Rebuilt brick stacks between 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th bays
and at right end. This was formerly the Old Golden Lion, already so described when
John Wesley preached here on his first visit to Northallerton on 15 April 1745.
(Rev J L Saywell, History of Annals of Northallerton (1885), p 123). Royal
Commission on Historical Monuments (England) (copy in NMR) recorded buildings before
demolition.


Listing NGR: SE3680894013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.