History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Eloy

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Smeaton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4343 / 54°26'3"N

Longitude: -1.4647 / 1°27'53"W

OS Eastings: 434818

OS Northings: 504454

OS Grid: NZ348044

Mapcode National: GBR LK65.P5

Mapcode Global: WHD7G.GSQY

Entry Name: Church of St Eloy

Listing Date: 31 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190573

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332393

Location: Great Smeaton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Great Smeaton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Smeaton St Eloy with Appleton Wiske

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Danby Wiske

Listing Text



NZ 30 SW GREAT SMEATON A 167
(north side)

6/29 Church of St Eloy

31.3.70
GV II


Church. C13, C15, mostly rebuilt by G E Street in 1862. Ashlar, Welsh
slate roof. Nave with south aisle, lower chancel, north vestry . Nave: 3
bays. South side, catslide roof to aisle. To right of left-hand bay a
gabled porch with pointed-arched chamfered doorway below relieving arch,
impost bands, stone coping, gable cross, Windows, plate traceried in style,
3 twin trefoil-headed lancets, similar single lancet to east . To west
side, 2 tall trefoil-headed lancets with quatrefoil over, to nave. To north
side, 2-light pointed geometric traceried windows. Stone coping, gable
cross to east. To west a bellcote, square on plan, arcaded sides, with tall
pyramidal roof. Pointed Y-tracery west window to aisle. Chancel: 2 bays,
two 2-light windows with pointed arches, geometric tracery and hoodmoulds.
East window: 1862 of 3 stepped cusped pointed lights with hoodmould and
relieving arch. Interior: south arcade, early Perpendicular, 3 bays, 2
octagonal piers with chamfered pointed arches. To each end a figured
corbel. Chancel arch, similar with impost band. Norman round font with
diaper pattern. Good wall monument 1804 by Fisher of York to henry Hewgill,
Rector, Hornby Grange.


Listing NGR: NZ3481804454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.