History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1428 / 52°8'34"N

Longitude: -0.8832 / 0°52'59"W

OS Eastings: 476524

OS Northings: 249977

OS Grid: SP765499

Mapcode National: GBR BXF.RHM

Mapcode Global: VHDSK.MDZP

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 3 May 1968

Last Amended: 18 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235240

Location: Ashton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Ashton

Built-Up Area: Ashton (South Northamptonshire

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Ashton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Roade

Listing Text

ASHTON ROADE HILL
SP74NE (West side)
4/5 Church of St. Michael and All
03/05/68 Angels
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Michael)

GV II*

Church. C14 and C15. West tower rebuilt 1848 by R.C. Hussey (Pevsner), body of
church restored 1853 onwards by E.F. Law and again in 1911. Coursed limestone
rubble, limestone and ironstone dressings, and slate roofs. Chancel, nave, north
aisle, south porch and west tower. 1-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east
window with 4-centred head, 3-light Perpendicular window to south with similar
head and 2-light window to north with Decorated tracery, all with hood moulds.
Priest's door to south-west with chamfered stone surround, segmental-arched head
and hood mould. Nave has 3-light Perpendicular windows either side of porch with
4-centred heads, that to east side larger, and 2-light clerestory windows with
straight heads and ogee-arched heads to lights, all with hood moulds; 1-light
window to south-east at low level with chamfered stone surround. Double
hollow-chamfered south door, similar doorway to porch, and 1-light windows to
east and west, the latter with cinquefoiled head, all with hood moulds. North
aisle has large 3-light east window with intersecting-tracery, 3-light west
window with reticulated tracery, and 2-light windows to north with Y-tracery,
quatrefoils to head and lop-sided cusped heads to lights; all have hood moulds.
3-stage west tower has 2-light west window with Decorated tracery and hood
mould, 1-light windows to middle stage with chamfered stone surrounds and
straight heads and 1-light bell-chamber openings, those to north and south with
Caernarvon-arched heads and rectangular hollow-chamfered stone surrounds, those
to east and west with trefoils to heads; saddle-back roof. Stone-coped gables
with kneelers, hollow-chamfered stone eaves to chancel nave and aisle, and
diagonal off-set buttress to south-east angle of nave, off-set buttress to
south-west angle and to east side of south-east window. Interior: nave has 2-bay
arcade with octagonal pier, polygonal responds, moulded bases and capitals, and
double-chamfered arches. Octagonal C17 pulpit has 2 tiers of panels with blank
round-headed arches. C19 and C20 stain-glass windows. Monuments: wooden effigy
of knight with crossed legs. Early C14. Said to be of Sir Philip de Lou, Lord of
the Manor in 1315. Alabaster effigy of Sir John de Herteshull, who died before
1365, on tomb-chest with arched panels, ball-flower frieze and inscription to
upper edge. Brasses of Robert Marriott d.1584 and family on chest-tomb. Wall
monument to Reverend John Whitford d.1667 and his wife Judith; slate tablet and
veined grey marble surround with volutes flanking inscription and cartouche of
arms above. Wall monument of veined white marble to Captain Richard Lestocke,
J.P. for Middlesex d.1713 with apron bearing crossed anchors, flags and
cutlasses, volutes flanking inscription panel, small round-arched pediment and
pair of cherubs heads above.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p94; Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire: 1936)


Listing NGR: SP7652449977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.