History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Number 65

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cosgrove, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0774 / 52°4'38"N

Longitude: -0.8445 / 0°50'40"W

OS Eastings: 479289

OS Northings: 242742

OS Grid: SP792427

Mapcode National: GBR BY8.PBP

Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.91XT

Entry Name: Bridge Number 65

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 18 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235242

Location: Cosgrove, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, MK19

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Cosgrove

Built-Up Area: Cosgrove

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cosgrove St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Potterspury

Listing Text

SP7941
16/7

COSGROVE,
GRAND UNION CANAL
Bridge No.65

(Formerly listed as Canal Bridge (Solmon's Bridge))

01/12/51

II*

Canal bridge. c.1800. Dressed limestone. Gothick style. Single-span bridge with
wide slightly pointed arch and curved feet. Arch has blank cusped panels and
keyblock. Semi-octagonal buttresses either side of arch have quatrefoil frieze
to base and ogee half-cupolas and are flanked by ogee-headed niches. Panelled
parapets with circular piers either end. In 1800 the two halves of the Grand
Junction Canal met here. Construction began at Brentford in Middlesex and
Braunston, Northamptonshire. It is said that a certain Colonel Solmons, 'Lord of
the Manor', agreed to the cutting of the canal on condition that he was allowed
to erect the necessary bridge. However the Lord of the Manor at this time was
George Biggin Esq., whose residence, Cosgrove Priory, is in sight of the bridge.
The proximity may explain the bridge's unusually ornamental appearance.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1933, p159; Wolverton Historical
Journal: 1970, pp34-40)


Listing NGR: SP7928942742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.