This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2103 / 54°12'36"N
Longitude: -1.2139 / 1°12'49"W
OS Eastings: 451369
OS Northings: 479676
OS Grid: SE513796
Mapcode National: GBR MMZR.0H
Mapcode Global: WHD8R.BF6P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332878
Location: Kilburn High and Low, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kilburn High and Low
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
KILBURN HIGH AND LOW LOW KILBURN
8/20 Church of St Mary
Church. C12, C13 and C17 with later alterations including restoration of 1818.
Coursed squared stone, Welsh slate roofs. 3-bay nave with west tower, south porch,
north aisle and north vestry and 2-bay chancel with north chapel. Tower: 1667
restored 1818; in Perpendicular style; quoins; chamfered plinth; west end has offset
diagonal buttresses and elliptical-arched Y-tracery window (probably C19) below
cusped light; a cusped 2-light window to each side of belfry stage; moulded string,
with gutter above it on south side, below embattled parapet with crocketed corner
finials. Nave and chancel have pointed-arched openings; chamfered eaves; kneelers,
ashlar coping and cross finials to gables and crested roof ridges. Nave: to left
of porch set against nave wall is mid C18 headstone commemorating 8 children of
Christopher and Elizabeth Sturdy having a segmental pedimented top with dentil and
egg-and-dart moulding. C19 porch has doorway below blind opening with defaced
crucifixion and C18 sundial in gable; a cusped 2-light window to each return; inside,
an early C12 narrow round-arched doorway with 3 orders of chevrons on columns with
decorated cushion capitals and billeted hoodmould, partly restored. To right of
porch, two 2-light Decorated-style C19 windows. North aisle has offset diagonal
buttress at west end; two 2-light double-chamfered mullion windows, the western
one C20; and a lancet in the west side of the vestry. Chancel: chamfered plinth;
restored priests' door with small chamfered 2-light window to left and restored
lancet to right; C19 east window of 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould and relieving
arches; two restored lancets under sexfoiled circular window to east end of north
chapel and a tall 2-light double-chamfered mullion window to north side of the
chapel. Interior: recessed round tower arch with imposts; restored late C12 3-bay
pointed-arch north arcade on circular columns with simply-moulded bases and water-
leaf capitals; C12 elliptical chancel arch of 3 orders (plain and chevron) under
restored billeted hoodmould on columns with decorative bases and cushion capitals
(much restored); flanking imposted archway into north chapel are two C13 grave slabs,
the northern one having a cross with stepped base and foliated head, hammer and
shield, and the southern one having a pastoral staff with flabella. White marble
memorial by Flaxman portraying couple mourning four children. C19 scissor-braced
roof trusses. Benefaction boards in tower. In north aisle probably C17 bench pews
with knob finials and added baluster-type candlestick holders, and a bell dated
1684 with decorative mouldings to top. The church was originally a chapel under
the Priories of Coxwold, then Newburgh and finally Thirkleby; it became a separate
parish church in 1868.
N Pevsner, Buildings of England, The North Riding.
Guide notes in church.
Listing NGR: SE5136979676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings