History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton Pinkney, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.137 / 52°8'13"N

Longitude: -1.1618 / 1°9'42"W

OS Eastings: 457464

OS Northings: 249070

OS Grid: SP574490

Mapcode National: GBR 8TF.TB8

Mapcode Global: VHCVY.TK55

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234173

Location: Moreton Pinkney, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Moreton Pinkney

Built-Up Area: Moreton Pinkney

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Moreton Pinkney St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Moreton Pinkney

Listing Text

MORETON PINKNEY MAIN ROAD
SP5749 (South side)
9/144 The Manor House

- II

Manor House, now flats. 1860 and 1870, incorporating earlier work, for Edward
Sempill by E. F. Law. Coursed squared ironstone, ashlar dressings. Coursed
squared limestone banded with ironstone at the rear, Tile roof, moulded stone
stacks. Irregular H-plan, Scottish baronial style. 2 storeys and attic, 5
irregular bays with gabled franking wings. Round tower with conical roof in
angle between right wing and main block. C20 stone porch in left angle has
doorway with 4-centred arch and 16-panel double door. 2 and 3-light stone
mullioned windows with moulded stone frames. Stone plaques with coat of arms of
Edward Sempill in gable of left wing, and of his wife, Baroness Maria Jane, on
the right gable. Coped gable ends. Three irregular gabled wings at rear,
probably late C17 remodelled C19. Stone plaque in right gable inscribed,
'Restored 1860. E.S. M.J.S. with two large heraldic reliefs below. Stone
mullioned windows, all renewed C19. Coped gable end with kneelers. Double stone
stack on each gable. Interior: Ground floor room is said to have remodelled C20
linen fold panelling. A perspective drawing by E.F. Law shows the design of the
house as intended with a second tower with ogee cupola to left of centre.
(Drawing in possession of Mrs, M. Lewis,The Manor House, Moreton Pinkney;)
Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.307.


Listing NGR: SP5746449070

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.