History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Close, to Rear of Nos 19-23

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.008 / 54°0'28"N

Longitude: -1.469 / 1°28'8"W

OS Eastings: 434896

OS Northings: 457012

OS Grid: SE348570

Mapcode National: GBR LQ53.R0

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.DJP8

Entry Name: Castle Close, to Rear of Nos 19-23

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330825

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH KIRKGATE
(south side, off)

6/155 Castle Close, to rear of
nos 19-23
5.2.52
GV II

House or folly. Mid C18 with additions and restoration c1920. Stone slate
roof. 2 storeys, square plan with 2-storey, 2-bay addition to front (east
side). C20 door and windows in this addition, which has a gabled roof with
gable coping and ball finial. Main block has moulded and dentilled eaves
cornice, pyramidal roof with ball finial and rear corner stacks. Right
return: the corner of a banded and corniced facade is just visible between
the C20 addition and Castle Cliffe (q.v.). Rear: C20 addition with lean-to
roof on ground floor, sash with plain lintel to first floor. The 2-storey
range attached to south-east side was possibly a factory or warehouse and is
not of special interest. This tower was probably built as part of Castle
Cliffe (q.v.). The range, together with the factory or warehouse, was part
of Dr Steads Yard in the mid C19. The whole group was restored in 1927 by a
local builder. Kellys Directory of Yorkshire 1851 and 1871.


Listing NGR: SE3490957042

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.