History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Coach House and the Paddocks

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton upon Tern, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8897 / 52°53'22"N

Longitude: -2.5152 / 2°30'54"W

OS Eastings: 365434

OS Northings: 332590

OS Grid: SJ654325

Mapcode National: GBR 7T.PTW2

Mapcode Global: WH9C3.BMJL

Entry Name: The Coach House and the Paddocks

Listing Date: 14 February 1979

Last Amended: 25 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260298

Location: Sutton upon Tern, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Sutton upon Tern

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Little Drayton Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longford

Listing Text

SUTTON UPON TERN C.P. TAYLEUR DRIVE (south side)
SJ 63 SE
3/138 The Coach House and The
Paddocks (Formerly listed
14.2.79 as Stables at Buntingsdale
Hall)

GV II

Stable block and coach house, now 2 dwellings. Circa 1721 with c.1857
alterations and additions. Some late C20 alterations. Red brick with
red sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped plain tile roof. U-plan. 2 storeys.
East front: chamfered stone quoins, at corners and flanking centre break,
stone floor band and dentil brick eaves cornice. Central break has 3-bay triangular-
pedimented gable with returned moulded stone coping, and octagonal wooden
clock face in tympanum above moulded stone cill on scrolled brackets. Octagonal
wooden cupola consisting of round arches with moulded imposts and keys, moulded
cornice and ogee lead dome. 1:3:1 bays; C18 windows with fixed C20 lights,
moulded stone cills and gauged brick segmental heads which have raised panelled
keystones with moulded tops. Central C20 boarded door with overlight and
segmental-headed rusticated surround with gauged-brick arch above. Right-
hand return front: 5 bays. Recessed first-floor oculi. Large ground-
floor former coach-house doorways with rusticated stone piers and painted
segmental brick heads with raised triple keystones. 2 right-hand openings
retaining pairs of large 6-panelled doors with L-hinges and 3 to left blocked
in C20 with new windows and door inserted. One-storey rear wing with stone
quoins and dentil brick eaves cornice. Segmental-headed window and keyed
segmental-headed doorway. Interior not inspected. This was formerly
the stable block and coach house to Buntingsdale Hall (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ6543432590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.