This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2341 / 51°14'2"N
Longitude: -0.2517 / 0°15'6"W
OS Eastings: 522154
OS Northings: 149780
OS Grid: TQ221497
Mapcode National: GBR JHY.H6G
Mapcode Global: VHGS8.L79R
Entry Name: Wonham Manor
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290154
Location: Betchworth, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH3
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Betchworth
Built-Up Area: Betchworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Betchworth St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
BETCHWORTH C.P. WONHAM LANE
6/45 Wonham Manor
Country house. Remodelled around an old core, in 1787, for the Hon. Charles
Marsham, (later Earl of Romney), further designs presented in 1810 by Lewis Wyatt
for C19 alterations. Top storey removed in 1926, interiors remodelled in early
C20. Red brick with Roman cement on ground floor right hand return front, and
on battlemented parapets. Plain tiled roofs, hipped to centre and left, hipped
slate roofs to right and rear. Three storey centre, two storey side ranges with
stacks to left and right of centre and to rear. West front:- Three windowed
central range with glazing-bar sash fenestration under label hoods and in cement
surrounds. Three windows on second and first floors, two windows below. Three-
quarter glazed door to ground floor right in chamfered,rendered surround and
under label moulding. Flanking bays set back slightly, that to left with pointed
oval window on first floor over further three-quarter glazed door, that to right
with 9-pane, glazing-bar sash window over 4 centre-arched chamfered surrounds to
double doors. Three window range projecting to left with central, tent-roof
glazing bar sash angle bay, ogee-head tracery to glazing bars. Similar angle bay
window to right hand return wall of extension. South front - octagonal angle
turrets with castellated tops, glazed lantern on centre of roof. Seven windows
across the first floor, 4 larger, mullioned and transomed casement doors below
left. Castellated angle bay to right with one window on each angle wall and
tripartite window in moulded surround. Rear:- Ribbed, tent-roofed, trellis work
pavilion to ground floor left, scalloped cresting across, between end spiked
finials. Ogee-domed cupola to centre under gilt weathervane with clock face and
angle pilasters. Lower range to right.
Interior:- Largely C20, staircase replaced, but with some panelled walls and
lotus leaf capital columns to angle bay windows. Bedroom fireplace white marble
with egg and dart and dentilled bands. Foliage and grotesque scroll bands and
central relief panel of putti. Elaborate wooden fireplace to ground floor room
with scroll garland and floral carved decoration, coloured marble fireplaces in
lounge and other rooms.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.110.
SURREY RECORD OFFICE ACCESS. 1059 - Counterpart of Lease dated 1774.
MANNING AND BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY Vol. II pp.212-3.
H COLVIN: BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH ARCHITECTS p.732.
Listing NGR: TQ2215449780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings