This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4815 / 52°28'53"N
Longitude: -0.4682 / 0°28'5"W
OS Eastings: 504124
OS Northings: 288166
OS Grid: TL041881
Mapcode National: GBR FXX.GF8
Mapcode Global: VHFNH.TWVK
Entry Name: The Cloisters, Oundle School
Listing Date: 7 June 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231743
Location: Oundle, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Oundle
Built-Up Area: Oundle
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Oundlew Ashton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1. (East Side)
The Cloisters, Oundle School
TL 0488 1/142
New Street elevation of circa 1880 by John Sebastian Gwilt. Tudor style, asymmetrical,
with gatehouse and turrets at south end. 2 storeys in coursed rubble. Left section
gabled with a mullion and transom window of 6 lights to each floor, breaks forward
with windows of 4 lights to sides. Finial to gable. Plain parapet and heavily
carved cornice, to wings flanking the gatehouse, which have 5 windows of 2 or 4
lights, arranged irregularly and with mullions and transoms, and with coats of
arms. Centre section is gatehouse, of 3 storeys, with crenellated parapet and
heavily carved cornice to turret to left, which has animal gargoyle waterspouts.
2 windows of a single light under dripmoulds flank the figure of Laxton in a niche
under a carved canopy and over a canted oriel window with a stepped base and crenellated
parapet. Entry has 4-centred arch with carved spandrels beneath a rectangular
dripmould. Right wing similar to that on the left, but all windows of 4 lights.
Bands continue 1st floor cills. To the right, an octagonal turret with crenellated
parapet and gargoyle spouts. 1 light to each face in lantern, centre blocked cusped
heads. Curtilage includes low stone wall with gatepiers with lamps.
Courtyard elevation comprises several buildings of different dates. The West side
has 7-arched cloisters in stone, with modern additions. The north side has buildings
of l934 of 2 storeys in coursed stone with parapet and plinth. Tudor style. Plain
windows except for 1 which is arched with date in spandrels and oriel to right
with ramped base which is beneath a small clock and gable with finial. Arched entry
under a rectangular dripnould with shield terminals. ast side has corner block
of late C19 of 2 storeys in coursed rubble with stone slate roof with stone verges
and end stacks. 2 windows of 6 lights and 1 of 9 break the eaves as semi.-dormers,
stone surrounds. Similar lights on ground floor. Similar elevation to Church
Yard. Next is a house of 1790. 2 storeys in ashlar with 3 modern dormers and
2 hung sash windows with glazing bars on both floors. Elevation to Church Yard
has dentilled eaves and platband at 1st floor level. 4 windows to 1st floor, flat
arched heads, late glazing. Door to left. The next house has gable end to Church
Street and is lower. Symmetrical front of 5 windows, hung sashes with glazing
bars, central entrance with wooden doorcase and fanlight. South side has porch
and plain buildings in Georgian style of 1960. Parapet. Remainder of this side
is late C19. Tudor style. Welsh slate roof. 3 gables each with a window of 2
lights. Irregular mullion and transom windows on ground floor and 1 modern door
and 2 moulded doorways with arched heads.
All the listed buildings in New Street form a group.
Listing NGR: TL0412488166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings