History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Sessay, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1698 / 54°10'11"N

Longitude: -1.2945 / 1°17'40"W

OS Eastings: 446156

OS Northings: 475117

OS Grid: SE461751

Mapcode National: GBR MND7.K0

Mapcode Global: WHD8X.2GV7

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 1 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332897

Location: Sessay, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Sessay

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Thormanby

Listing Text

SESSAY MAIN STREET
SE 47 NE
(east side, off)
4/39 The Old Rectory
1.5.52
GV II
Rectory, now house. C18 with later additions and alterations and reroofed after
a fire in the 1920s. Rendered; Welsh slate roof. 2-storey (formerly 3),
symmetrical 7-bay front with single-storey wing to left. Plinth. Central bay
recessed having entrance with 6-panel double door, top 4 panels glazed, in
bolection-moulded architrave under bracketed hood. Narrow sashes with glazing bars
and projecting sills. Hipped roof with broad stacks at either end of ridge and
another cross-ridge stack at left end. Lower wing on left has C20 French windows
to right of sash with glazing bars; roof hipped on left taller single-storey wing
behind. Rear: round-arched stair window with glazing bars, radial in head; some
sashes with glazing bars. Right return: 3 bays; French windows to ground floor,
sashes with glazing bars above; on right, raised verge with gable stack. Left
return, wing: narrower 18-pane sashes with glazing bars. Interior: panelled
doors; rear right room has stone fireplace with eared architrave, frieze and
cornice under mirror flanked by early C19 fitted cabinets; dog-leg, open-string
stair with stick balusters and spiral curtail to handrail. The 3rd storey was
destroyed by fire in the 1920s, but the ridge of the roof and the chimneys appear
to be the original height.


Listing NGR: SE4615675117

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.