This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5844 / 51°35'3"N
Longitude: -0.0116 / 0°0'41"W
OS Eastings: 537862
OS Northings: 189158
OS Grid: TQ378891
Mapcode National: GBR KT.V1N
Mapcode Global: VHGQN.RF8Q
Entry Name: The Ancient House
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190795
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206859
Location: Waltham Forest, London, E17
District: Waltham Forest
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoe Street
Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Walthamstow St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 3789 CHURCH LANE
1802/4/11 (south side)
The Ancient House (Nos 2, 4,
19.10.51 6 and 8)
Former hall house, now floored and converted into several dwellings. C15. Exposed timber-framing with stucco, infill to centre and west wing and C18 weatherboarding to eastern part. Plain tile steeply pitched roof to eaves. Single storey with dormers to centre; 2 storey jettied crosswings to east and west. Close studding with tension braces to western crosswing. Ground floor underbuilt in brick with C20 Neo-Georgian shop windows. 3-light timber mullioned window to first floor of western wing, and similar windows to gabled dormers; casements; leaded lights.
Tripartite sash window to upper floor of east wing. Large square stack to
western wing, much rebuilt.
INTERIOR: Despite conversion into four apartments, much of the original timber frame is exposed. Of particular note are the diamond mullion window, two stone, four-centred arched fireplaces in No.8,' and a moulded, octagonal crown-post visible from inside No.2. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Ancient House was restored in 1934 by Mr Robert Fuller under the supervision ofMr CJ Brewin, architect, as a memorial to W G Fuller, head of the Fuller's firm of builders.
Listing NGR: TQ3786289158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings