This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3031 / 54°18'11"N
Longitude: -1.2877 / 1°17'15"W
OS Eastings: 446450
OS Northings: 489952
OS Grid: SE464899
Mapcode National: GBR MLGP.07
Mapcode Global: WHD8B.632J
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 2 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332542
Location: Cowesby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cowesby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
COWESBY MAIN STREET
(NORTH SIDE, OFF)
9/15 CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL
AND ALL ANGELS
Church. 1846. By A Salvin for the widow and children of George Lloyd of
Cowesby Hall, and in his memory. Rock-faced stone, graduated stone slate roof.
3-Bay nave with south porch separated by 2-stage tower from 1-bay chancel. In
Norman style. chamfered plinth, moulded cill band, eaves band, ashlar coping
and cross finials to gables, quoined round-arched windows, doorways with moulded
round arches on columns with scalloped cushion capitals. Nave: west window has
columns with scalloped cushion capitals; inside gabled porch is board inner door
with decorative iron hinges. Tower: louvred 2-light belfry openings to north
and south, 2 single lights to west and east; corbelled pyramidal roof with
lucarnes and weather vane. Chancel: east end has paired windows and oculus
above with moulded surround; vestry under separate gabled roof has octagonal
stack and outshut. Interior: attached columns with scalloped cushion capitals;
head-corbels support principal rafter roof trusses with curved braces to collars
and chamfered butt purlins. C17 altar rail has balusters of interlaced spirals,
solid gate posts and broad, chamfered, hand rail. Round-arched commandment
tablets flanking east window; board door to vestry. The building is on the site
of a Saxon and a C13 church. Salvin had earlier (1832) designed Cowesby Hall
for George Lloyd (replaced 1949).
W. Grainge, The Vale of Mowbray: a historical and topographical account of
Thirsk and its Neighbourhood (1859), pp. 283,286.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, The North Riding.
Listing NGR: SE4645089952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings