This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1388 / 52°8'19"N
Longitude: -0.8408 / 0°50'26"W
OS Eastings: 479432
OS Northings: 249580
OS Grid: SP794495
Mapcode National: GBR BXH.XZ7
Mapcode Global: VHDSL.CHWQ
Entry Name: Hartwell End House
Listing Date: 5 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235294
Location: Hartwell, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Hartwell
Built-Up Area: Hartwell
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Hartwell St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
4/57 Hartwell End House
House, formerly farmhouse. Early C17 with C18 extensions, further altered and
extended c.1900 and c.1930. Stone and brick, all pebble dash rendered except for
some stone details, plain-tile roof with slate verge to east side, two brick
ridge stacks each with four diagonal shafts and terracotta chimney-pots,
2-storeys and attic with single-storey flat-roofed extension of c.1930 to north
gable end. C17 stone range of two units divided by cross wall with stack.
Evidence of C17 wing on west side later incorporated in late C18 gabled
extensions to main range. Major extension of c.1900 to south end of C19 range
with a polygonal 2-storey bay window at each corner. The entrance (west) front
is a series of six irregular cross gabled projections. The four to left have C18
sash windows with flat-arched heads, those to right are part of c.1900
extensions and have casement windows or sashes with hood moulds. Central C20
entrance doorway with glazed panel door. C17 bays to garden (east) front each
have a 4-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion window with hood mould to ground
floor and similar 3-light window to 1st floor above. Lintel of ground floor left
window is renewed in timber and has blocked light to right. Central part-glazed
door. Similar C17 3-light window to 1st floor of north gable wall with corbelled
projection to centre of gable above, pierced by small casement. C17 south gable
wall, now covered by extension was similar to north gable wall. Interior: main
cross wall has large blocked stone fireplace, discovered behind panelling below
stair in present staircase hall, with moulded Tudor-arched head and jambs. Oak
stair of C17 pattern but largely or wholly C20 has stop-chamfered square newel
posts with finials and serpentine splat balusters. Stop-chamfered spine beams.
Remains of window or door in former north external door now internal with
4-centred arched head, and cut spandrels and moulded jambs. Fireplace in upper
room with moulded stone jambs and mid-C19 cast-iron grate. Collar-truss roof.
Believed to have been built as a hunting lodge within Salcey Forest.
Listing NGR: SP7943249580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings