This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.995 / 53°59'41"N
Longitude: -1.1578 / 1°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 455311
OS Northings: 455767
OS Grid: SE553557
Mapcode National: GBR NQC7.4N
Mapcode Global: WHD9R.5VY7
Entry Name: Moat House
Listing Date: 20 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332121
Location: Overton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO30
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Overton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shipton Holy Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 55 NE OVERTON OVERTON ROAD
(south side, off)
5/28 Moat House
Farmhouse. Mid-late C18 using earlier materials. Mottled pink-brown brick
in Flemish bond and limestone blocks brought to course with Welsh slate roof.
2-cell direct-entry plan with added rear range and wing to rear left. 2 storeys,
3 first-floor windows. Central 6-panel door and overlight in C20 corniced doorcase
flanked by C20 bow windows. C20 sashes with cement lintels above. End stacks.
Rear: rear range rendered has old board door with iron fittings in wood frame
to right of side-sliding sash with glazing bars. 16-pane sash above, to left,
and unequally-hung 9-pane sash to right. Roof hipped on right. Rear of wing
has large limestone blocks, tumbling-in and evidence of roof having been raised.
Right return of house: large limestone blocks, tumbling-in to gable. Left
return: tumbling-in to house gable. Wing lower and rendered with C20 windows.
Stack to left end. Single-storey bay added to left end has C20 door and windows
and pantile roof. Interior: partition walls of reused timber and wattle; chamfered
spine-beams on both floors; kitchen (back) door ledged and battened on large
'T' hinges; probably C17 oak-panelled doors with butterfly and H-shaped hinges
to rooms and cupboards on both floors and to cellar; dog-leg stair with splat
balusters, moulded hand-rail and newel. The date 1762 said by a former owner
to have been inscribed on chimney breast, but now covered (NYCVBSG Report).
Principal rafter roof of reused timbers (NYCVGSG Report). Room added to rear
of wing originally a forge (now part of house) and retains, inside, large flue.
On a moated site on which an earlier house, Old Hall, was rebuilt in 1406 but
demolished by 1736 (VCH, p 167). The stone and perhaps panelling, in the present
building was probably reused from the earlier house.
NYCVBSG Report No 514.
VCH II, pl67.
Listing NGR: SE5531155767
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings