History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Little Fort

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1856 / 51°11'8"N

Longitude: -0.6202 / 0°37'12"W

OS Eastings: 496533

OS Northings: 143833

OS Grid: SU965438

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.L16

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.6GHH

Entry Name: The Little Fort

Listing Date: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291466

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING NEW WAY
SU 9643 NE
(west side)
12/182
The Little Fort
- II

Fort, now part of house. 1843 for Anne Oglethorpe and Eleanor Marquise de
Mezieres; altered; added to considerably C20. Bargate rubblestone with dressed
stone quoins; concealed bitumenised roof. A single cell of 2 storeys, square on
plan. South side: quoins; pointed-arched quoined doorway with heavy wood
frame and 4-panel door (panels glazed) with graffiti "GM1827"; above door is
bracketed ledge to former C19 bay window, now replaced by large mid-C20 window;
embattled parapet with pitched coping to merlons and flagpole. On right, mid-
C20 single-storey addition, not of special interest, masks ground floor of right
return which on 1st floor has 2 gun slits with raised surrounds. Left return:
2 rectangular windows to ground floor with plain surrounds, and 2 gun slits
above with raised surrounds. Rear, encased in late C20 addition, has inserted
window and door openings to lower floor, and former pointed-arched doorway to
upper floor made into square-headed doorway mid C20. Extensive late C20
additions to rear of fort and set back on either side are not of special
interest. Originally access to the roof was by rope ladder, from the upper
floor. Anne Oglethorpe and Eleanor Marquise de Mezieres, were sisters of
General James Oglethorpe who owned Westbrook. While Oglethorpe was away in
America, founding the colony of Georgia, Anne lived at Westbrook, with Eleanor a
frequent visitor. The two of them were staunch Jacobite supporters and involved
in various plottings. The Little Fort was one of 2 forts which they built along
a pre-existing vineyard wall (constructed by Oglethorpe) in order to prepare
Westbrook as a stronghold. None of the other forts survive.
D Coombs, The Godalminq 400 (1978), pp 20-22.
C Terrot, "House of Jacobites and Red Indians", Country Life, Dec 1.1960,
pp1348-1349.


Listing NGR: SU9653143832

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.