This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.007 / 54°0'25"N
Longitude: -1.1931 / 1°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 452978
OS Northings: 457081
OS Grid: SE529570
Mapcode National: GBR NQ33.HB
Mapcode Global: WHD9Q.NJ1Z
Entry Name: Red House School Chapel
Listing Date: 8 March 1952
Last Amended: 27 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331650
Location: Moor Monkton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, YO26
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Moor Monkton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rural Ainsty
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 55 NW MOOR MONKTON HALL LANE
2/8 Red House School Chapel
(formerly listed as 'fled
8.3.52 House School including
GV II *
Chapel. Early C17, consecrated in 1618. For the Slingsby family. Brick in
English garden wall bond, ashlar quoins and dressings, Welsh slate roof.
Chapel and ante-chapel, rectangular on plan. 2 storeys, open to roof, 3
bays. South facade: quoins to right. 2-light double-chamfered mullion
window to left. First floor: three cinquefoiled 3-light windows in square-
headed frames. Stepped eaves course. West gable end: round-arched door
frame with imposts and keystone, containing original panelled door.
Inscription in brick over reads "Pro termino vitae sic non nobis". East
gable end: large 3-light Perpendicular window possibly inserted from an
earlier building. Interior contains much original carved furniture.
Earliest features include the pulpit, poppyhead bench ends, panelled pews,
screen to ante-chapel with splat balusters, and consoles supporting gallery.
The closed string staircase to the gallery with its bulbous balusters,
elaborately carved newels and carved finials symbolic of the family and
friends of Sir Henry Slingsby originally formed the main staircase of the
Red House. Later C17 altar rail. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: The West Riding,
second edition, 1967. Wood G B, The Chapel at Red House, Moor Monkton,
Yorkshire, Country Life, Oct 27 1944.
Listing NGR: SE5297857081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings