History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

33 and 35, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2955 / 51°17'43"N

Longitude: -0.3281 / 0°19'41"W

OS Eastings: 516668

OS Northings: 156474

OS Grid: TQ166564

Mapcode National: GBR 6P.CYP

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.8PFS

Entry Name: 33 and 35, High Street

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Last Amended: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190843

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290542

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead North

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD HIGH STREET
TQ 1656 SE (north side)
12/145

7.9.51 Nos.33 and 35
(formerly listed as Nos.23 and 25)

GV II

Farmhouse, now shop. Probably C15 or early C16, reduced, partly raised, and
altered in later C16 or earlier C17; altered and divided into cottages
(subsequently shops) in C19; recently heavily restored and remodelled as shop
with offices over. Timber frame on a modern brick plinth, with rendered infill
painted white, red tile roof. Hall-and-crosswing plan, with the hall parallel to
the street reduced to one bay and 3-bay receding wing at the right-hand (east)
end. Now all 2 storeys (the hall probably formerly single-storeyed but raised in
the C16 or C17) and the wing jettied to the front; the exposed timber framing
now includes corner posts, mid-rail, jetty joists and bressummer, and studs (some
of these being modern replacements); in the recent restoration C19 or C20 shop
fronts were removed and the front wall moved back to its original line (except
the jetty), and the ground floor now has posts and studs, simple rectangular
windows, and double doors to No.33 (the hall), the upper floor has casements of
2 lights in the hall and one and 2 lights in the wing, and the hipped roof has a
continuous eaves line (and now no chimney). The left return wall has wallposts
and 2 rails (the upper formerly a tie-beam) and some raked braces of light
scantling; the right-hand return wall of the wing has a mid-rail and posts with
up-braces. Interior: much altered (e.g. by removal of some partition walls and of
the C17 inserted chimney stack and staircase, and replacement of some elements
of the timber frame) but the 1st floor of the wing has the tie-beams and east
wallposts of the cross-frames, with their associated braces, and remains of
wattle-and-daub in the spandrel of the 2nd of these. References: W.J.Blair
"Cradlers, Leatherhead" Proc.LDLHS 3 (9), pp298-312; LDLHS History (1988) p.64.
(but NB this reference disregards Blair's interpretation).


Listing NGR: TQ1666856474

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.