This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2791 / 54°16'44"N
Longitude: -1.2822 / 1°16'55"W
OS Eastings: 446834
OS Northings: 487283
OS Grid: SE468872
Mapcode National: GBR MLHY.6V
Mapcode Global: WHD8B.8PPZ
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 20 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332558
Location: Kirby Knowle, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kirby Knowle
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
KIRBY KNOWLE MAIN STREET
SE 48 NE
4/24 CHURCH OF ST. WILFRID
Church. 1873-4 by G. Fowler Jones. Coursed squared stone, Welsh slate roof.
3-Bay nave with entrance under south-west tower; lower 3-bay chancel with north
vestry. Early English style. chamfered plinth; offset butresses between bays;
lancet windows, those to nave in stepped triple groups with quatrefoils over
lower, outer, lancets and relieving arches; cill band; eaves band; ashlar gable
coping and crosses; alternately crested ridge tiles. Tower: 2 stages. Entrance
has traceried wooden double door with pointed-arched surround of 3 orders in
gabled, coped, projection with fleur-de-lis finial; lancet slit vents; paired
louvred belfry openings with impost band; dentilled base to stepped embattled
parapet. West window is of 2 lancets and quatrefoil with ball-flower-stopped
hoodmould and steps below it leading to shouldered-arched basement doorway. On
the north side the nave has a triple lancet window flanked by paired lancet
windows and the vestry a pointed-arched doorway flanked by chamfered
square-headed lights. East window is of 3 lancets under 3 quatrefoils with
head-stopped hoodmould. Interior: stop-chamfered quoined south doorway has
board door with decorative iron hinges; corbelled, chamfered, chancel arch; nave
roof of collared principal rafter trusses with corbelled curved braces and
decorative spandrels; piscina in chancel, and hammer-beam roof. 9 Brasses set
in chancel step to members of Danby and Rokeby families (of Kirby Knowle Castle
(New building), q.v.) dating from 1676-1766 and one of 1841 and with arms over
each. Medieval graveslab with cross, the bottom broken off, near south doorway,
and other fragments of decorated medieval masonry are set on ledge of west
window. Plaque in porch records the financial contribution of the "Incorporated
Society for Building and Churches" made in 1872. the building is on the site of
an earlier church.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Yorkshire, The North Riding.
Victoria County History, North Yorkshire, Vol II, p. 48.
Listing NGR: SE4683487283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings