This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0216 / 54°1'17"N
Longitude: -1.1573 / 1°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 455310
OS Northings: 458729
OS Grid: SE553587
Mapcode National: GBR NPCY.73
Mapcode Global: WHD9R.655S
Entry Name: Shipton Middleton Church of England School
Listing Date: 20 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1190930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332130
Location: Shipton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO30
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Shipton
Built-Up Area: Shipton (Hambleton)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shipton Holy Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 55 NE SHIPTON MAIN STREET (east side)
Shipton Middleton Church of England School
School with master's house. 1850 (Bulmer and Co, p774). Probably by G T Andrews for the Hon Payan Dawnay of Beningborough Hall. Brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. 2-storey, 2-bay master's house on left; single-storey schoolroom crosswing on right. Quoins, roll-moulded plinth. House: to right a board door with decorative hinge in quoined and moulded pointed-arch surround. Shouldered-arched window above. C20 2-storey bay win- dow on left. Kneeler and coping on left. Lateral stack to left and ridge stack, both with octagonal flues. Schoolroom: gabled. Off-set diagonal buttresses. Large canted bay window with a window of 2 trefoil-headed lights to each face, cornice and sloping stone roof. Clock above hung from decorative iron bracket. Quatrefoil in apex. Coping, finial base. Right return (school- room): 4 bays, right bay lower and set back. Roll-moulded plinth, off-set buttresses, cill band. Pointed-arch windows each of 2 trefoil-headed lights and a roundel. Eaves band. Right bay masked by C20 porch and addition. On site of the old school which was originally founded in 1655 with bequest of Ann Middleton (Bulmer and Co, p774).
Bulmer, T, and Co, Directory of NorthYorkshire, 1890.
Listing NGR: SE5531058729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings