History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lawns

A Grade II Listed Building in Tatenhill, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.799 / 52°47'56"N

Longitude: -1.738 / 1°44'16"W

OS Eastings: 417760

OS Northings: 322411

OS Grid: SK177224

Mapcode National: GBR 4CD.KDS

Mapcode Global: WHCG4.8XM3

Entry Name: The Lawns

Listing Date: 21 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273680

Location: Tatenhill, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Tatenhill

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Rangemore All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Hanbury

Listing Text

TATENHILL C.P. RANGEMORE
SK 12 SE
5/101 The Lawns
21.2.86
GV II

Shown on O.S. map as The Lawn.
Country house. Possibly with an early C19 core, now obscured by the house
of 1900 and later. Built for the Bass family. Rendered, probably over
brickwork with stone dressings to parts. Flat roof invisible behind
balustraded parapet; large centre stacks. ,The plan is T-shaped, built as
an 'L' but shortly after enlarged for the visit of Edward VII.
All in a loosely Italianate style. Entrance front: combines the north-east
angles of the plan; 3 storeys, the ground floor is banded; deep patera
frieze under a dentilled cornice below the parapet, even raised quoins and
a pair of isolated giant pilasters, one built into the quoins to the left
and the other stranded to the left of centre. A slight break of one bay
to the right, against the return, is capped by a water tower. The main front
has 3 pairs and one other window to the attic storey, all large-pane sashes
in raised surrounds and set into the frieze; the windows on the first floor
are all pedimented, one segmental to the right side, again sashes, 2 tripartite
to the left; a 3-bay single-storey porch dominates the ground floor, set-in
from the left; paired columns support a frieze and balustraded parapet wall
set behind columns is banded and with round-arch windows to each bay and
similar entrance to right with glazed double doors; a further entrance is
set in the right break under the water tower; a lead plaque to the left of
this carries the date 1822, possibly from an earlier house. The projecting
billiard wing to the right completes the front and has a 2-storey 3-sided
bay. The garden front is the closest to symmetry, of 4 bays and a central
pediment which bears the date 1900. Interior: wide staircase in oak;
heavily moulded balusters and details; ballroom has columnated flanking
screens; a lift in the Edward VII wing has a complex cage in decorative
wrought iron; one marble fireplace also remains in this wing.


Listing NGR: SK1776022411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.