History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

All Saint's Community Centre

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8723 / 50°52'20"N

Longitude: 0.0134 / 0°0'48"E

OS Eastings: 541758

OS Northings: 110024

OS Grid: TQ417100

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.B5P

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.P1W

Entry Name: All Saint's Community Centre

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Last Amended: 29 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191009

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293101

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Thomas at Cliffe with Lewes All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4110 SE LEWES FRIAR'S WALK
10/119 (north side)

25.2.52 All Saint's Community Centre
(formerly listed as All Saints'
GV II*

Parish church, now community centre. Early C16 tower with nave of 1806 by
Amon Wilds and chancel and transepts of 1883 by W. Basset Smith and E.J. Munt
in an C13 lancet style with transepts of Decorated style. Tower and east
end of flint with stone dressings, nave of red brick with stone quoins and
brick window dressings. Plain tiled roofs with gable crosses on gables to
east. West tower, nave without aisles and crossing with transepts, chancel
and vestries. Very low three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and
projecting coped parapet. Simple double belfry openings with arched heads
to lights and square-headed surrounds. Single square-headed openings
on second stage. Wide moulded three-centred arch below on west face with
double ribbed and studded doors. Six-bay nave with boxed eaves. Arched
windows with radiating glazing bars on first floor, segment-headed windows
below. East end with clasping buttresses. Curvilinear tracery in north
and south windows of transepts. 3 bay chancel with lancets divided by
stepped buttresses. East window of triple lancet type. Interior:
nave with original galleries on north, south and west sides on thin
columns. Shallow stucco vault over. Most of the former fittings
have been removed. Stained glass; 1880 and 1884 by Henry Holiday.
Monument: John Stansfield, d. 1626, coat-of-arms surmounting inscription
flanked by kneelers of John and his wife. At the time of resurvey the
church is being converted into a community centre. The chancel has been
blocked off from the rest of the church.


Listing NGR: TQ4175810024

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.