History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodford County High School

A Grade II Listed Building in Hale End and Highams Park, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6075 / 51°36'26"N

Longitude: 0.0186 / 0°1'7"E

OS Eastings: 539881

OS Northings: 191781

OS Grid: TQ398917

Mapcode National: GBR LM.9D0

Mapcode Global: VHHMY.8VPK

Entry Name: Woodford County High School

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191027

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206895

Location: Waltham Forest, London, IG8

County: London

District: Waltham Forest

Electoral Ward/Division: Hale End and Highams Park

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Woodford Wells All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Woodford Green

Listing Text

TQ 39 SE,
1/13

HIGH ROAD
Woodford Green (west side),
Woodford County High School (formerly Highams)

19.10.51

II

School, formerly substantial house. 1768. By William Newton. Painted stucco.
Roof not visible. 2 storeys plus basement and attic to centre block. 5 bays
to centre block; 4-bay wings, outer 2 bays of each set forward slightly beneath
pediments. Centre 3 bays of centre block also slightly set forward, with giant
Ionic pilasters rising through ground and first floors. Projecting central sand-
stone porch with pedimented entrance. Square-headed sashed windows retaining
glazing bars. Round-headed windows to ground floor of wings. Rich dentil cornice
above first floor. Subsidiary cornice to attics; balustraded parapet. Central
polygonal lantern to roof with console cornice and low hipped roof. Interior
retains fine stone staircase with wrought-iron balustrade and 'S' fluted band
to well at floor level, etc. Venetian staircase window formerly with half column
ornament removed after war damage. The house was originally known as Highams
Park. It had extensive grounds which included the present public open space called
Highams Park. A red Book prepared by Humphry Repton for the layout of the park
is preserved at Brottenham Hall, Norfolk.


Listing NGR: TQ4001692313

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.