This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0826 / 52°4'57"N
Longitude: -0.8894 / 0°53'21"W
OS Eastings: 476201
OS Northings: 243270
OS Grid: SP762432
Mapcode National: GBR BY6.HYP
Mapcode Global: VHDSR.JXPD
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 18 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191051
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235336
Location: Potterspury, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Potterspury
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Potterspury with Furtho and Yardley Gobion
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
POTTERSPURY CHURCH END
SP7642 (West side)
15/99 Church of St.Nicholas
Church. C12,C13 and C15, altered and restored 1848 by R.C. Hussey at a cost of
£3,000 and again restored by E.F. Law in 1860-1. Coursed squared limestone,
with ironstone and limestone dressings, lead and copper roofs. Chancel, north
chancel chapel, aisled nave, south porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel has
4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery, 3-light windows to south with
intersecting tracery and roll-moulded and chamfered priest's door to south.
String courses at level of springing of arches of priest's door and windows,
forming hood moulds. Diagonal off-set buttresses and off-set buttresses
between windows to south. C19 vestry to north with 2-light east window and
lancet window to north. North chancel chapel continues north aisle and has two
small rectangular 1-light windows to north-east one above the other. Chapel
and aisle have 3-light Perpendicular windows to north with 4-centred heads,
hood moulds and transom at low level, below which they are blank. Blocked
north door with double wave mouldings and hood mould. Aisle has diagonal
off-set buttress, 3-light Perpendicular window to west end with segmental head
and hood mould and lean-to boiler room below. Nave has 5-window clerestory of
2-light windows with straight heads, foiled heads to lights and hood moulds.
South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window, 2-light windows to south
with ogee-arched heads and 2-light Perpendicular window to west end with
straight head; all have hood moulds. Many-moulded south door with ogee-arched
head and hood mould in porch with Tudor-arched doorway and double-leaf doors.
Battlemented parapets to aisle and porch and diagonal off-set buttresses.
3-stage west tower has fine west door elaborately moulded and with deep and
wide hollow chamfer, double-leaf doors and hood moulds. Blocked 2-light window
to middle-stage south with Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. 2-light
bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights. Hollow-chamfered plinth,
diagonal off-set buttresses and battlemented parapet. Overhanging eaves to
nave, chancel and north aisle. Interior: chancel has 2-bay arcade to north
chancel chapel with octagonal pier, and double-chamfered arches on corbels.
Tripartite chancel arch, probably of 1848, with 23 tall octagonal piers, wide
central arch and outer arches dying into wall. Nave has 3-bay arcades. That
to north with octagonal west pier and C12 circular east pier with scalloped
capital; double-chamfered arches. That to south has octagonal piers, carved
head corbels either end and double-chamfered arches. Octagonal font with
panelled stem and tracery patterns and bowl with pointed quatrefoils and
shields. C19 box pews. Wall-mounted oil lamps in chancel. C19 and C20
stain-glass windows. Monuments: brass to Agnes Ogle d.1616, wife of Cuthbert
Ogle. Wall monument of stone and alabaster to Gabriel Clarke d.1624, with
black marble inscription plate. Similar monument to Cuthbert Ogle d. 1633,
with cartouche of arms above erected by his widow Beateris. Wall monument of
veined marble with slate inscription plate and cartouche of arms above to John
Barrow d.1744, and his wife Anne d.1757, erected by Mr. John Enston of
Northampton and signed Henry Cox. Wall monument with stone surround and slate
inscription plate to John Meal d.1742 'Late Gardener/To His Grace the Duke
of/Grafton/whome He served faithfully/At Wakefield Lodge/Sixteen Years'. Wall
monument of slate with veined marble brackets and cornice to Joseph Scrivener
d.1808 and his wife Elizabeth d.1780 signed Cockerill, Wappenham.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp376-7).
Listing NGR: SP7620143270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings