History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall, Stables, Gates and Gatepiers at Entrance to Weston Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Weston and Weedon, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1172 / 52°7'1"N

Longitude: -1.1385 / 1°8'18"W

OS Eastings: 459085

OS Northings: 246886

OS Grid: SP590468

Mapcode National: GBR 8TV.6YV

Mapcode Global: VHCW5.61ZT

Entry Name: Wall, Stables, Gates and Gatepiers at Entrance to Weston Hall

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234245

Location: Weston and Weedon, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Weston and Weedon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Lois Weedon St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Weston

Listing Text

WESTON AND MEEDON HIGH STREET
SP54NE (North side)
Weston
4/203 Wall, stables, gates and
gatepiers at entrance to
Weston Hall

GV II

Gatepiers. C13. Limestone ashlar. Square-rusticated piers, moulded entablature
and urn finials with gadrooned bases and C19 double iron gates. Short section of
wall to left, squared coursed limestone and ironstone with stone coping, lintks
with autbuildinqs, C18, similar materials with slate roof and 4 bays of 9-pane
sash windows with wood lintels. Side facing the house has brick arches
(whitewashed) of unequal width (2 blocked). Hall continues to left with stone
coping for approx. 20 metres and a higher section with tiled coping for approx.
30 metres. Wall continues round at angle beside Home Farmhouse, and has upper
section rebuilt in brick. Interior: Stables have original teak stalls. Sir
William Walton is said to have composed the oratorio "Belshazzar's Feast" in the
harness room (Information from Francis Sitwell)


Listing NGR: SP5908546886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.