This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5284 / 51°31'42"N
Longitude: -0.2231 / 0°13'23"W
OS Eastings: 523356
OS Northings: 182552
OS Grid: TQ233825
Mapcode National: GBR BD.GF7
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.2VW6
Entry Name: Monument to Sir George Farrant, Kensal Green Cemetery
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Last Amended: 3 April 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203835
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W10
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Queens Park
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Brent
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michaell and All Angels Ladbroke Grove
Church of England Diocese: London
Portland stone mausoleum, dated 1844.
Portland stone Egyptian style mausoleum of Sir George Farrant, died 1844. The mausoleum has battered sides with cavetto cornice. On the west side is a pylon-shaped doorcase (door blocked) with winged disc and the cornice on this side has stylised hieroglyphs and a stylised head. On the south side is a pylon-shaped inscription panel flanked by inverted torches. It is surrounded by stone railings in matching idiom.
The Cemetery of All Souls at Kensal Green was the earliest of the large privately-run cemeteries established on the fringes of London to relieve pressure on overcrowded urban churchyards. Its founder George Frederick Carden intended it as an English counterpart to the great Père-Lachaise cemetery in Paris, which he had visited in 1821. In 1830, with the financial backing of the banker Sir John Dean Paul, Carden established the General Cemetery Company, and two years later an Act of Parliament was obtained to develop a 55-acre site at Kensal Green, then among open fields to the west of the metropolis. An architectural competition was held, but the winning entry – a Gothic scheme by HE Kendall – fell foul of Sir John's classicising tastes, and the surveyor John Griffith of Finsbury was eventually employed both to lay out the grounds and to design the Greek Revival chapels, entrance arch and catacombs, built between 1834 and 1837. A sequence of royal burials, beginning in 1843 with that of Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, ensured the cemetery’s popularity. It is still administered by the General Cemetery Company, assisted since 1989 by the Friends of Kensal Green.
The mausoleum of Sir George Farrant is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Artistic interest: an early mausoleum in the Egyptian idiom;
* Group value: with other listed monuments within the Grade I registered Kensal Green Cemetery.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings