This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.594 / 53°35'38"N
Longitude: -1.382 / 1°22'55"W
OS Eastings: 441000
OS Northings: 411000
OS Grid: SE410110
Mapcode National: GBR LVSW.LD
Mapcode Global: WHDCK.RX3N
Entry Name: Brierley Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333633
Location: Brierley, Barnsley, S72
Electoral Ward/Division: North East
Built-Up Area: Brierley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Grimethorpe with Brierley
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Brierley Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Appears largely C18 and C19 but retaining fragments of
a late medieval house in rear wing. Deeply-coursed, squared sandstone,
partly rendered, Welsh slate roof, renewed brick stacks. Irregular
L-shaped plan with partial outshut to main range, wing to rear left
has a projecting stair turret and other later additions. 2 storeys
with 3-storey wing, cellars. Irregular fenestration, 2-window front
to main range. Main range: chamfered plinth, large quoins where seen
beneath render. Right part breaks forward. 2 windows to each floor,
4-pane sashes and one C20 casement in tall square-faced ashlar surrounds.
Wood brackets and brick courses to eaves, end stacks. Wing to rear:
on side opposite entrance is a medieval stair turret with chamfered
plinth, projecting band and inverted offset band allowing the upper
wall to oversail, small inserted casement above. Turret now has a
lean-to roof, in wall above is evidence of a blocked doorway which
indicates that the turret is truncated. To right of turret a 3-light
casement with sash above, beyond which is an offset buttress of
medieval appearance now attached to corner of main range. Upper wall
of wing has fragmentary remains of multiple-light mullioned windows.
Entrance side of wing has sashes and casements to upper floors in
altered double-chamfered mullioned window surrounds. Interior: stair
turret retains cellar doorway with moulded jambs and triangular-shaped
lintel all heavily painted. Original newel but treads of spiral stair
now replaced in concrete. Part way up the stair is another similar
doorway into the wing (now blocked). Cellar said to contain large
In 1617 Brierley Manor passed from Lord Talbot to the Savile family
who administered considerable South Yorkshire estates from here.
Watson and Harrison (1975) note that large sums were spent on this
building in 1632 and the fabric of the rear wing may be of this date.
The stair turret is, however, tentatively dated to C15 by Ryder.
P. F. Ryder: Notes on Brierley Manor,held in County Archaeological
Site Register, South Yorkshire Cultural Activities Centre, Sheffield.
Primary Index No 291.
Listing NGR: SE 42051 10023
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings