History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Antony and Monastery

A Grade II Listed Building in Green Street West, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5396 / 51°32'22"N

Longitude: 0.0252 / 0°1'30"E

OS Eastings: 540549

OS Northings: 184238

OS Grid: TQ405842

Mapcode National: GBR LR.R1Q

Mapcode Global: VHHNB.DK6M

Entry Name: Church of St Antony and Monastery

Listing Date: 25 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191196

English Heritage Legacy ID: 204968

Location: Newham, London, E7

County: London

District: Newham

Electoral Ward/Division: Green Street West

Built-Up Area: Newham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Forest Gate Emmanuel with Upton Cross St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
West Ham

Listing Text

TQ 48SW ST ANTONY'S ROAD
4/8 UPTON PARK E7

- CHURCH OF ST ANTONY
and Monastery

GV II

Church and Monastery 1884 (foundation stone) finished in 1891. Architects Pugin
& Pugin. Early English and Geometrical Gothic Church. Yellow stock brick with ash-
lar dressings. Slated roofs. Austere. 7-bay nave with tall clerestory. Lean-to
aisle roofs, double to (liturgical) south, to incorporate confessionals. Gabled
chapel to south. South-eastern apsed chapel. Rose window over High Altar. 6 light
traceried window to west end above gabled entrance. Cuspless three-light clerestory
windows. Lancets to confessionals. Monastery 2-storeyed with transverse gable to
left and smaller gables to centre and right. Similar materials to church, but blue,
chamfered engineering bricks to window openings. Lower windows paired lancets with
leaded lights. Beneath gables three light tracery windows, pointed head to left,
the others with stepped, square, heads. Walls buttressed. Building linked to church.
Gabled entrance, porch to left, with Mother & Child statue in canopied niche above.


Listing NGR: TQ4054984238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.