History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1558 / 53°9'20"N

Longitude: -2.0996 / 2°5'58"W

OS Eastings: 393434

OS Northings: 362073

OS Grid: SJ934620

Mapcode National: GBR 240.3ZH

Mapcode Global: WHBC2.QYC3

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275357

Location: Rushton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK11

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Rushton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Rushton Spencer St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Rudyard

Listing Text

RUSHTON C.P. ASKERBANK LANE,
SJ 96 SW Rushton Bank

4/146 Church of St Lawrence
-
1.2.67
GV II*

Parish church. C15 and earlier core to fabric dated variously from 1690
to 1848. Coursed and dressed stone and rubble; stone slate roofs; verge
parapets on shaped, corbelled kneelers and pinnacles. West tower clasped
by vestry and store; nave; north aisle and family chapel; chancel.
Tower: of 3 stages and flanked by lean-tos to north and south; the
profile from the west is of a gable, set slightly lower and shallower
than the nave, truncated below the apex and capped by a shiplap weather-
boarded bell-chamber of one stage with shingle roof, gabled north/south;
single light, rectangular, projecting, louvred bell chamber openings;
rectangular window to north lean-to and under west side of bell chamber,
4-light, labelled chamfer-mullion window to ground floor of west end and
arched light, 2-light window adjacent to vestry door, cambered head inscribed
on lintel with a shield I L W South porch: gabled and timber-framed,
I C M mid-C19 with arch-braces to gable end
1768 truss. Nave: of 4 bays; early C18
remodelling; very low, single-storey eaves line to south, broken by 2,
slightly projecting, tall, gabled and pinnacled masonry wall-face dormers
dated T S W , 3-light round-arch windows containing Gothic Survival
J T M tracery; windows of 3 round-headed lights set below and
1848 to east of each dormer. Ogee-headed south door heavily
nailed and boarded dated TWW . North aisle: lean-to, low eaves
1713 of 3 bays; chamfer mullioned 3-light
TBC windows; 2-light to west return
against tower; single-storey, flat-roofed chapel to east end of aisle
against chancel and flush to east end; crenellated parapet set above
eaves of aisle; 2, closely-spaced 3-arch light square-headed windows to
north side and blocked door with entrance steps to east, set against chancel.
Chancel: dated 1690; single bay, of similar eaves height to nave, but
shallower pitch; angle buttresses of 4 short stages and 2 massive gable
buttresses on plinths and of 6 short stages dated below corniced top
stage A.D. - 1848, referring to the buttresses only; labelled and ovolo
mullioned and transom 4-light, round-headed east window, dated over TKW
1690; chamfer mullion 2-light window to south; blocked door adjacent
to east inscribed in lintel TPW . Interior: 2 king post trusses
TCM remain of C15 timber framed church,
resting on posts to the north; the west truss is complete with tie,
braced king post to collar plate bearing trussed rafter construction;
eastern truss has a replaced king post, rising not to collar, but to
ridge and with curved arch-struts; rafters invisible beneath barrel
vaulted, plastered ceiling. C17 west gallery with shaped flat balusters
to handrail; 3-sided bay-front early C18 timber pulpit with free-standing,
moulded columns to angles; circular stone drum-shaped font against east
wall of vestry; family chapel to north-east of church on raised dais,
box pews and panelling to east wall; painted hatchments in chancel;
large painted inscription on centre of the beam: "O . WORSHIP . THE .
LORD . IN . THE . BEAUTY . OF . HOLINESS".


Listing NGR: SJ9343462073

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.