History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Yearsley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1619 / 54°9'42"N

Longitude: -1.1051 / 1°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 458529

OS Northings: 474375

OS Grid: SE585743

Mapcode National: GBR NNQ9.JV

Mapcode Global: WHFB4.0N19

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 24 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191390

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332791

Location: Yearsley, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Yearsley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brandsby All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Oulston

Listing Text

YEARSLEY -
SE 57 SE
6/81 Church of Holy Trinity
-
- II

Chapel of ease. Dated 1839. Rubble, Welsh slate roof. Apsidal chancel, 3-bay
nave with west bellcote, south vestry, north porch. Porch: studded board door
with applied tracery to door and tympanum panel above, in chamfered pointed-
arched ashlar doorway with hood mould; above in the gable, recessed plaque with
unicorn's head and date; inner door of 6 panels, coved cornice inside porch.
Flanking porch, two 2-light pointed-arched nave windows with Y tracery. Gabled
bellcote has space for 1 bell and is corbelled out on buttresses flanking blind
lancet opening. To left, canted chancel with, on 3 sides, a single-light pointed-
arched window with hood mould, the arch containing ogee tracery with cusping; the
eastern side rises up to a goblet with taller window and cross at apex. Vestry:
west window of 2 pointed lights. Interior: rubble walls; double-chamfered pointed
chancel arch without responds; ribbed vault to apse; nave has king-post roof
trusses; c.1700 altar-rail of column-on-vase turned balusters; simple tub-on-shaft
front; pitch-pine pews, part of C17 chest used as back rest to seat in centre of
last row of pews. VCH ii, p.14.


Listing NGR: SE5852974375

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.