History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cranford, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.384 / 52°23'2"N

Longitude: -0.639 / 0°38'20"W

OS Eastings: 492726

OS Northings: 277092

OS Grid: SP927770

Mapcode National: GBR DXJ.F8D

Mapcode Global: VHFNZ.WB1R

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Last Amended: 19 June 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 230996

Location: Cranford, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Cranford

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Cranford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Kettering

Listing Text

SP9277
1337-0/18/150
25/02/57


CRANFORD
CHURCH LANE, Cranford St.John
(North side)
Church of St. John

(Formerly Listed as Church of St.John The Baptist)


GV II*


Parish church. C12 origin, chancel, north chapel and tower to
north aisle C14, south aisle 1842 extended 1880 to house
organ, restored and reseated 1887. Coursed limestone rubble
with a little ironstone ashlar dressings. Nave and aisle roofs
not visible (probably of lead), chancel and porch roofs of
Collyweston stone slates. Aisled nave with north and south
porches, chancel with north chapel, west tower. Tower of 2
stages: tall lower stage has ironstone bands, diagonal
buttresses with 3 set-offs, blocked west doorway with
depressed ogee lintel and lancets to west and south. Bell
stage has 2-light Decorated windows with transom and
quatrefoiled heads, blind traceried frieze and castellated
parapet on moulded eaves. Gargoyles at angles. Nave has
parapet and 3 clerestorey windows to each side: spherical
triangles flanking a traceried circle, original to north but
C19 to south. North aisle and north chapel have buttresses,
cill bands and parapet with head spouts. Chapel also has
plinth, a 3-light square-headed window with hood mould and a
similar 2-light window with head stops to hood mould. North
aisle has a similar 2-light window either side of a C19 porch.
East end of north chapel has a C19 doorway with lancet over.
Chancel has coped gable with finial. 3-light east window with
intersecting tracery. South side of chancel has a renewed
2-light square-headed window with a rectangular panel above
flanked by carved heads (perhaps reused) and incorporating a
diamond- shaped stone inscribed IL 1622. East end of south
aisle has a similar renewed 2-light window, and south face of
aisle has four 2-light C19 Decorated style windows, one to
left of porch and three to right. C19 porch has diagonal
buttresses, parapet gable and arched entry with head stops to
hood mould. Door of overlapping studded boards. Interior:
3-bay both nave arcade, 2 wide round arches of 2 orders
carried on a cylindrical pier and triple responds with
stiff-leaf capitals, and a small and simpler round arch of
ironstone carried on corbels at west end, perhaps reused.
Segmental- headed recess in north aisle, containing carved
head. Roof left doorway with depressed ogee head -
necessitating big buttress in north aisle to support chancel
arch of 2 chamfered orders. South arcade of 1842 imitating
details of north arcade, built by Reverend Sir George Stamp
Robinson as a memorial to 2 of his children. Nave roof has
ovolo-moulded tie beams (repaired), purlins and ridge-piece,
rafters renewed. North aisle roof retains some chamfered
beams, but south aisle and chancel roofs are C19. Chancel has
2- bay north arcade carried on an octagonal pier and
semi-circular responds. C19 opening to south with similar
details. Low doorway to east end of north chapel, now vestry,
which contains oval wall monument to Jane Coo, d.1656, a slate
tablet in a richly-carved stone surround. East window contains
reused medieval and later glass of diverse origins, and at the
top, Victorian glass depicting St. Andrew and St. John, with
an inscription commemorating the union of the benefices of the
2 Cranford churches. Lower part of Jacobean screen. C16
Flemish panels carved with Biblical scenes reset in C19
pulpit. Plain octagonal font.
(V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, III: pp.191-2; Buildings of
England: Northamptonshire: pp.167-8).


Listing NGR: SP9272677092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.