This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8723 / 50°52'20"N
Longitude: 0.0053 / 0°0'18"E
OS Eastings: 541188
OS Northings: 110000
OS Grid: TQ411100
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.84M
Mapcode Global: FRA B6WS.RW4
Entry Name: Tyne House and Railings to South
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293199
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SW & TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET
9/217 & 14/217 (north side)
25.2.52 No 140 (Tyne House) and
railings to south
House. Circa 1600, circa 1720 and later C18. Timber-framed front range,
refronted with knapped flint with red brick dressings and quoins. 2nd storey
added in later C18. Dentilled cornice to plain tiled roof with single brick stack
in centre behind ridge. 3 storeys: regular 4 window front, glazing bar sashes
with red brick dressed architrave surrounds with gauged segment heads. Sashes
without glazing bars on ground floor. Entrance in second bay from right.
Panelled door with wreathed and radiating fanlight. Arched doorway with
panelled reveals, Doric pilastered door surround and open triangular pediment.
Cast-iron railings around enclosures to south, either side of door, with vase-
head standards. Rear front: Two parallel rear wings, both rendered, that to left
circa 1600, that to right circa 1750. Interior: Evidence of timber-framing in
main range, particularly the roof with braced collars and continuous purlins.
Much pine panelling of circa 1750 in major rooms, with some oak panelling re-used.
Open string staircase with three square balusters per step and mahogany rail.
Stair-well with curved corners, surmounted by plaster dome and octagonal
cupola, with applied swags and other decoration. The remains of two early C17
staircases survive between first and second floors.
Listing NGR: TQ4118609998
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings