History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Freemason's Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8721 / 50°52'19"N

Longitude: 0.0065 / 0°0'23"E

OS Eastings: 541274

OS Northings: 109984

OS Grid: TQ412099

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8GK

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.LCW

Entry Name: Freemason's Hall

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191537

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293204

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

TQ 4109 NW LEWES HIGH STREET
14/222 (north side)

25.2.52 No 148 (Freemason's Hall)

GV II

Freemason's Hall. Dated 1868. Yellow stock brick with red brick and some
stone dressings. Plain tiled roof with gable end to street. Tumbled gable
parapets with stone coping and kneelers. Cast-iron gable finial. 2 storeys;
2 windows, wooden cross windows above in pointed arch surrounds with stone inserts
in arches, decorated with inlaid foliage. Relieving arch between with
decorative stone keystone. Decorative polychromatic surround to datestone between
inscribed '1868'. Tilework impost band between windows and continuing to either
side. Stone inscribed 'Freemason's Hall/Erected 1797/Rebuilt 1868' between
windows at lower level. 3-light window on ground floor to right with stone
rounded Caernarvon-arched heads, segmental relieving arch and polychromatic
brickwork in arch. Pair of pointed-arched boarded doors in entrance to right
with brick reveals, triangular hood-mould and polychromatic brickwork between
arch and hood-mould. Spiral downpipes to left and right with decorative
brackets. The party wall between this building and No 147 to right (q.v.)
contains considerable remains of the medieval West Gate, pulled down in 1777.


Listing NGR: TQ4127309990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.