History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cotton College

A Grade II Listed Building in Cotton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0151 / 53°0'54"N

Longitude: -1.9031 / 1°54'11"W

OS Eastings: 406596

OS Northings: 346428

OS Grid: SK065464

Mapcode National: GBR 374.ZM5

Mapcode Global: WHBCY.QGYW

Entry Name: Cotton College

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Last Amended: 17 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1191607

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275077

Location: Cotton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Cotton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Oakamoor Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Oakamoor

Listing Text

SK 04 NE COTTON C.P. COTTON

4/81 Cotton College (Formerly
3/1/67 listed as "Cotton Hall")
GV II

House, now school. Late C18 with later alterations, and additions of
1846-8 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1874-5, 1886-7 and 1931-2.
C18 house of red brick with painted ashlar dressings and slate covered Mansard roof; additions by Pugin in ashlar and in red and brown brick with ashlar
dressings and plain tile roofs with coped verges; later C19 additions
in ashlar with edged herringbone tooling and shaped tile roof with
plain tile bands and coped verges; brick stacks. Symmetrical C18
house with Gothic style additions; C18 nucleus aligned north-west /
south-east facing south-west, extended to the north-east in 1846-8,
a wing of 1874-5 aligned north-east/south-west projects south-west
from the north-west end of the C18 building, extension of 1886-7
aligned north-west/south-east attached to the north-west. Central
C18 block, extensions of 1846-8 to the right, wing of 1874-5 to the
left. C18 block: 3-storey range with attic to the left, 2-storey
range with attic to the right under the same roofline, central semi-
octagonal projection of 2 storeys and attic with pointed hipped roof;
4:3:3 bays. Left-hand range: central straight joint with groins
of unequal length showing that the 2 right hand bays are earlier,
glazing bar sashes with horns and wedge lintels, the second floor
windows have cambered heads; 2-leaf half-glazed door to the right
with Tuscan portico on fluted columns. Central projection: ground
floor windows are glazing bar sashes, the first-floor windows are
4-pane sashes. Right-hand range: first floor storey band and
ground floor window sill band, glazing bar sashes, those to second
floor have cambered heads. Corbelled eaves and attic dormers
throughout. Additions of 1846-8; in 2 parts, 3 storey brick block
of 3 gabled bays to the left, low ashlar building to the right.
Left hand block: 6-light mullioned and transomed windows to ground
and first floors, 2 -storey bay window to the left with hipped roof,
second floor casements. Right-hand block: main range of one storey
and attic and 3 bays, the gabled left hand bay contains a segmental
pointed door and a pair of Carnarvon arch lights over, gable capped
by a ball finial; slightly lower central gable with single-storey
passage building extending obliquely from below it and forming a
link with the Church of St. Wilfrid (q.v.). Wing of 1874-5: 2
storeys and attic on high basement; 6 bays with buttresses at the
divisions and a squaretower to the right with chamfered corner; 3-
light chamfer mullioned basement windows, square head ground floor
window with 2 trefoil headed lights, high transom and supermullions,
segmental pointed second floor windows with trefoil headed lights
and supermullions containing a single reticulation, gabled dormers
with shaped barge boards. Interior: Victorian staircase with
turned balusters. B.O.E. P. 109.


Listing NGR: SK0659646428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.