This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4539 / 53°27'14"N
Longitude: -1.0703 / 1°4'12"W
OS Eastings: 461836
OS Northings: 395639
OS Grid: SK618956
Mapcode National: GBR NXZH.2L
Mapcode Global: WHFFM.JGK0
Entry Name: Chapel Attached to South West Corner of Hesley Hall
Listing Date: 11 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191635
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334733
Location: Tickhill, Doncaster, DN11
Civil Parish: Tickhill
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Harworth
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK69NW BAWTRY STRIPE ROAD
(west side, off)
7/33 Chapel attached to
- south-west corner of
Chapel. 1891. For Benjamin Ingham Whitaker in memory of Eliza Sophia
Whitaker (d.1885). Red brick with ashlar dressings, graduated slate roof.
Small, nave and apsidal chancel in one with south porch and bellcote; Gothic
Revival in Perpendicular style. Chamfered plinth and moulded band. Porch on
left has moulded Tudor arch with carved spandrels and hoodmould; string
course beneath embattled parapet with carved centre panel and ball finial.
Nave window on right is of 6 round-headed lights with central king mullion
and plain panel-traceried head beneath moulded 4-centred arch with hoodmould
and finial. Offset buttress at division of nave and chancel supports a
corbelled octagonal bell turret, with single-light opening in each side
beneath panels inscribed 'BIW/1891/CLW'; crocketed ashlar spirelet with
finial. West end: apsidal baptistry projection beneath 3-light window with
hoodmould, gable slit; ashlar gable copings with ball finials. Chancel: sill
band beneath square-headed south window of 2 ogee lights with hoodmould;
small 3-light east window with apron panels; moulded cornice beneath
oversailing, embattled parapet.
Interior: nave has north organ recess with Tudor arch; on west wall a carved
frieze with dedication to E. S. Whitaker; barrel-vaulted roof. Chancel has
aumbry, sedilia and piscina recesses around the apse. Fittings: mostly
original, panelled dado; 1910 rood beam with crucifixion; carved reredos.
Fine wall paintings in the baptistry and to walls and ceiling of the chancel.
Stained glass in baptistry (font removed). Alabaster wall monument, on north
wall of nave, to B. I. Whitaker who lived at Hesley 1861-1922 and to wife
Listing NGR: SK6183695639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings