This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5242 / 53°31'26"N
Longitude: -1.5197 / 1°31'10"W
OS Eastings: 431942
OS Northings: 403162
OS Grid: SE319031
Mapcode National: GBR KWTP.SD
Mapcode Global: WHCBR.MPK5
Entry Name: Conservatory and Linking Bridge at North West Corner of Wentworth Castle
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333918
Location: Stainborough, Barnsley, S75
Civil Parish: Stainborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Silkstone All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
STAINBOROUGH WENTWORTH CASTLE
1/43 Conservatory and
linking bridge at
25.2.52 north-west corner
of Wentworth Castle
Conservatory with linking bridge. 1840's. Probably made by Crompton and
Fawkes of Chelmsford. For F. W. T. Vernon-Wentworth. Ashlar sandstone plinth
and north wall, otherwise cast-iron with glazing. Single-storey, 10 x 3 bays,
canted-bay projection on south side, lean-to porch on east side in angle with
bridge forming link to Wentworth Castle (q.v.). Bays divided by miniature Doric
columns with scrolls and rosettes within curved spandrel panels, simply-glazed
panels between with central-pivotted opening lights. Bay projection on south
has double door beneath consoled wood cornice; similar doorway to central bay
on left return. Decorated gutter, hipped 3-span roof with end finials and
full-length lantern to central ridge. Right return: external stone steps to
porch having manufacturer's plaque on right of door. Linking bridge has wooden
dado panels, decorative spandrels and ridge cresting.
Interior: perimeter bench with stone slabs on miniature columns linked by pierced
grill. Longitudinal arcades of 5 bays detailed as exterior. Canopy over central
southern bay. Lead blackamoor sundial in south-west bed possibly by John van Nost
(1688-1729), moved from original outdoor site (J. E. Humphrey pp303-4).
J. E. Humphrey, 'A Prospect of Stainborough', unpublished thesis, Sheffield,
1982, vol 3.
Listing NGR: SE3194203162
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings