This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5213 / 53°31'16"N
Longitude: -1.3975 / 1°23'50"W
OS Eastings: 440046
OS Northings: 402906
OS Grid: SE400029
Mapcode National: GBR LWPQ.7F
Mapcode Global: WHDCY.HRRC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191688
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333678
Location: Barnsley, S73
Electoral Ward/Division: Wombwell
Built-Up Area: Wombwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wombwell St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40SW WOMBWELL HOUGH LANE
6/50 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1896-1914, several builds. By Hadfield and Garland of
Sheffield (Kelly's Directory 1912). Deeply-coursed dressed sandstone,
some contrasting limestone and sandstone dressings, tile roof.
Orientated north-east/south-west, ritual orientation used here.
West tower with north porch, 6-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel with
south vestry and 2-storey organ chamber to north. Perpendicular
Gothic Revival style; massive, simpler tower. West tower: chamfered
plinth and moulded band to full-height angle buttresses; tall 4-light
west window; south-east vice; simple pinnacled parapet added c1960.
North porch: red and white chequered panel over door . Nave: chamfered
and wave-moulded plinth on south side; buttresses to bay divisions;
embattled south porch to bay 3; 3-light square-headed windows to aisle,
4-light arched-headed windows with hoodmoulds to clerestory; roll-moulded
parapet and gable copings; east sanctus bellcote with 2 octagonal
turrets. Chancel: lower. Chamfered plinth and string course beneath
2- and 3-light windows, hoodmould formed beneath parapet. Arched
clerestory windows of 3 and 4 lights with hoodmoulds. East window:
5 lights. Matching smaller window to organ chamber.
Interior: Pointed-arch arcade with hoodmould. Octagonal stone pulpit
with crinoidal limestone coping, Gothic Revival style. Some remains
of the earlier medieval church include a C12 scalloped capital in
nave west wall and C15 piscina in chancel at south-east end.
Listing NGR: SE4004602906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings