This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5431 / 53°32'35"N
Longitude: -1.6276 / 1°37'39"W
OS Eastings: 424776
OS Northings: 405226
OS Grid: SE247052
Mapcode National: GBR KW2G.FM
Mapcode Global: WHCBP.Z64M
Entry Name: Cat Hill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 June 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334039
Location: Penistone, Barnsley, S36
Civil Parish: Penistone
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hoylandswaine St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PENISTONE CAT HILL LANE
1/13 Cat Hill Farmhouse
23rd June 1965
Farmhouse. 1634. Deeply-coursed dressed stone. Stone slate roof.
Two-cell plan with projecting rear kitchen wing. Two storeys and attic.
Near-symmetrical three-bay front. Chamfered plinth. Central two-storey
gabled porch with elaborate doorway with moulded surround, imposts and deep
shaped lintel. Hoodmould over with large moulded stops. 2-light window to
1st floor and a single light to gable apex. The left and right bays are both
gabled. The left bay has a 6-light transomed parlour window with king
mullion, a 4-light lst-floor window and a 2-light attic window. The right
bay has a 4-light transomed ground-floor window and a 4-light lst-floor
window both with ornamental hoodmould stops, diagonal to ground floor and
heart-shaped to 1st floor. 2-light attic window. Moulded gable copings,
roll-top parapets and finials. Two large square ashlar stacks, one central,
in line with door, the other relating to the kitchen wing. Rear: extensive
rebuilding, in keeping. Gabled kitchen wing projects on left.
Right return: the left part is gabled with a 2-light transomed window to
ground floor under a hoodmould with big square stops. The kitchen wing to
right is of two near-symmetrical bays with central, Tudor-arched door with
3-light window to left and 2-light window to right, both transomed and all
under continuous hoodmould which rises over the windows. Two 3-light windows
to 1st floor.
Interior: slightly cambered-arched fireplace with keystone and moulded
surround in parlour. Wide elliptical-arched fireplace in kitchen.
Hunter states that the hall, formerly known as Catling Hall, was dated
"I T 1634" (date not found at resurvey) and was occupied by the Sotwell
family in the C17.
Rev. J. Hunter, History of the Deanery of Doncaster and South Yorkshire,
L. Ambler, Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, 1913.
Listing NGR: SE2477605226
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings