This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1335 / 51°8'0"N
Longitude: 0.0536 / 0°3'13"E
OS Eastings: 543781
OS Northings: 139143
OS Grid: TQ437391
Mapcode National: GBR LN5.VRQ
Mapcode Global: VHHQ8.WR6X
Entry Name: Bower Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1191737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 296049
Location: Forest Row, Wealden, East Sussex, RH19
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Forest Row
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Forest Row
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
FOREST ROW HAMMERWOOD
TQ 43 NW 4/44 26.11.53
Large 15th-16th century timber-framed farmhouse, of which the old part
is the shape of 2 L's joined. The house is now divided into 2. Two storeys
and attic. The south front of the south wing has its timber-framing exposed
on the ground floor with plaster infilling but is tile-hung above the ground
floor. The first floor overhangs on a moulded bressummer and brackets.
Gable with attic window. South front of the east wing brick and tiles.
Two windows. Massive brick chimney breast in the angle. The east front
of the north wing has exposed timber-framing with painted brick infilling.
Four windows. On the north side the north front of the south wing is close-
studded above the ground floor, with a gable above the first floor overhanging
on a moulded bressummer and brackets. This gable has moulded bargeboards
and a pendant and contains an attic window. Two windows below. One blocked
original window on the first floor. The ground floor has been underbuilt
in brick (painted) but some traces of the bressummer above the ground floor
are visible. Doorway with flat hood over on console brackets and 18th century
door of 6 fielded panels. The north wing is partly close-studded on the first
floor but the ground floor has been partly rebuilt in brick (painted) and is
partly tile-hung. Gable at the north end with attic window and moulded
bargeboards. On the first floor of its west front is a curved brace shaped
like half an ogee. Two windows. A modern room has been built out on the ground
floor with a pentice roof beyond the north wall of this wing. To the north-east
of the north front a modern wing has been added largely of old materials which
now makes the north front a half-H shape. The roof of the south wing is of
Horsham slabs, and of the remainder of the house is tiled. Inside there is a
stone fireplace dated 1595. Staircase with a circular tree newel post extending
the whole height of the house. Ceiling beams.
Listing NGR: TQ4378139142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings